Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • DIY Huge Air Compressor on a budget.

DIY Huge Air Compressor on a budget.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk DIY Huge Air Compressor on a budget.

• Creator
    Topic
    DaveDave
    Participant

I walk around the local scrap iron yard and found everything I needed for a compressor build. When the motor or compressor blows up, people just toss them out. So I asked a guy in the yard if he had some air compressors and parts. This is what I got. 100 gallon 1920’s thick steel tank. Thing is awesome. Rated to 200 psi. On top was an old cast iron compressor that actually worked. I seen a few other compressors laying around the yard and grabbed a couple of them. It also had most of the plumbing attached to it. Then I found motors. So I walked out with 2 compressor and tank combos. 1 with a 100 gallon tank. The other with about a 20 gallon tank on a homemade frame. Total damage? $20 You pay for the weight of the metal, not what the metal is. They loaded it all on my pick up and charged me what I scaled out at. Brought them home and put them together. I ended up selling the portable one to a neighbor for like $50. Got my money back and then some. This is about 10 years later and that big ole compressor is working great.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RobRob
      Participant

Ill have to check it out… my biggest problem is the tank I have is too small… its like a 10 gallon tank but if your really going to do a lot with it it dies pritty fast and looses pressure…. but will fill up fast like 5 sec’s it will get back to 100 psi but lose it fast if you use high vulume tools… a bigger tank will help a lot… how did you find the local yard that had them????

DaveDave
        Participant

Just look for scrap metal yards. Metal Recyclers and so on. We have one here locally. You can also get scrap angle iron metals of nearly every type.

Lee AnnLee Ann

Speaking of compressors on a budget:
            When I was an unemployed DIYer (2014), I bought my 26 gal Husky air compressor gently used for a little over $100.00. I still use it today.

Jgp267Jgp267
            Participant

Scour those boneyards for the old GE compressor rated motors with a 100% duty cycle. Built like tanks. Will last a good 40 years probably.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…