Menu

Becoming a dealership tech

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Becoming a dealership tech

• Creator
    Topic
    joeyjoey
    Participant

I work for a dealership now but was a tech at a independent shop working on light cars and trucks/ heavy trucks. i worked their for a few years started out changing oil and tires and the like then after awhile of that they made me a tech and once i got some experience with them i was under the head mechanic and diagnosed or repaired what ever came in the door. after being their for awhile they went through some major changes and problems which is why i left for where i am now (2 weeks ago) my problem is they hired me as a flat rate tech with the understanding i had experience(just not in a dealership) have all my own tools and am capable of diagnosing, replacing engines trans and the like but when i got their they said that they just hired several apprentice techs and need a lube tech so thats what they did and i would like to know from you guys if id actually have a chance at going to a dealer and getting in as a tech and not a beginning inexperienced lube tech. i know ive got a ways to go still but did not think i wasted 3 years of my time to go straight to the bottom making the opposite of what this dealer told me during hiring. thanks for reading any and all thoughts are much appreciated.

p.s am used to flat rate system

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jason WhiteJason White
      Participant

I can relate. Sounds like what happened to me. I had full ASE Master status and was still put in the quick lube when I went from a independent to a dealer. Well, I just became the best lube tech they ever had, and proved it was too much for being a lube tech. They moved me to used cars, and then on the line, sent me to school and now I’m a Nissan Master. It took over 3 years, but I’ll say it was worth it.

Dealerships are all about certs, so you need to do all their online training and get all that you can. It’s not hard to look good in this field.

joeyjoey
        Participant

thanks for the reply. right now i am trying to get in to a local dealership right down the street from me so i get what your saying if i can get with somebody i will just stick with em even if i have to start changing oil again it will be worth it in the long run. the fella i talked to is looking for a front end tech but he wasn’t sure if they could take any one on right now so i will see what happens. thanks again for your advise.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…