Menu

Compact Spare Tires

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions Compact Spare Tires

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I don’t like to judge people, but in a situation where choices can effect others in a negative way, I feel the need to call them out. If for no other reason than to bring attention to the problem. Compact spare tires are great, they can get you out of a jam, but they’re not like regular tires, and in my opinion, shouldn’t be treated like regular tires.

I’d love to have your thoughts on this.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JeffJeff
      Participant

Valid on every single point you made. Looking at your old (2005?)spare tire did make wonder if they ever ‘expire’ from reasonably safe use – since they are not subject to heat cycles and UV? I’ve never known ANYONE to replace one or know how to.
        I’ve also noticed good tire shops not check the spare when accessible (“didn’t know it had a full-time size”which implied they didn’t look and don’t care about compacts) Great service would include asking “do you want me to remove the bars of gold in your trunk to check the spare?” At least then it’s on the customer’s back.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

Good question. I suppose inspect the surface for dry rot or signs of damage. If you find them, it might be time to replace it. To be honest, I’ve never replaced a spare tire.

Chris OrozcoChris
          Participant

I have seen this too many times. I like to keep up with the maintenance of the car myself so I don’t use them. I had to once but it was because I had just bought the car for 500$ (yes bad shape) and it blew the tire on the way home. They come in handy but was not on the highway after I installed it. I cant understand why people think this is ok to have as a daily tire. On a side note though, I have seen people replace their spare in the trunk with a full size one. I think that is smart if you have the money for it.

ToddTodd
            Participant

Yes, good points to consider, and heed. Ironically I had just watched this video and couple days later I got a flat and had to use my “donut tire”
              On my 91 Civic. Was going home after checking out a 84 Honda Prelude for possible purchase (in great condition 🙂 then picked up a nail, threw on the compact spare. Of course this video came to mind. So I kept my speed down to a minim and made it the 25 miles back home, with out incident.

MikeMike
              Participant

It just amazes me when people get stupid over simple stuff like this.

All the info you need is in the owners manual, and everyone should be familiar with their manual, right? And then, the important info is repeated on the tire and rim. Nobody has a good excuse for being ignorant about the proper use of their compact spare.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…