Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Replacing Inner Tie Rods Fox Body Ford

Replacing Inner Tie Rods Fox Body Ford

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Replacing Inner Tie Rods Fox Body Ford

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

After finding a loose inner tie rod on the Fairmont I decided to replace it. I also made a video.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave GarbocziDave Garboczi
      Participant

I was telling the screen: “Spin a nut down past that broken off cotter pin and grab the nut in the vise!”

Nice video, I hadn’t seen where the fluid seal is with respect to the inner tie rod. I mean, all I’ve seen (too often) is fluid coming out of the boot. Maybe the pipe wrench touched the sealing surface one time, hmm?

Keymaster

The seal for the rack is inside the housing and nowhere near the outer tie rod I replaced. The smooth surface of the rack was not damaged at all during the replacement. That inner seal is where it often leaks from, if there is a leak. In the case of my Fairmont, there wasn’t any leaks as you could see in the video.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
          Participant

As you say in your video, the only alignment setting affected by your repair is toe. On many front wheel drive cars the only adjustable alignment setting is toe. So, if you can do toe you can accomplish DIY alignment.

I made a trammel bar out of three pieces of wood. Unlike the tires on the Fairmont, most tires have straight rain grooves. On the Fairmont you’d have to spin and mark the tires. Anyway, measure front, measure rear and you have toe. I place painter’s tape on the uprights that go against the tread and my marks are pin pricks. The object is to be as accurate as possible.

I first saw a trammel bar at a race track and it was made of wood. So, anyway, this is easy but something most people don’t know how to do. I think it would make a good video.

Keymaster

I know it’s possible to do alignments in the driveway. I personally haven’t done it that way because I’ve had access to alignment machines. Trust me, it’s a lot easier on a proper machine. Also, toe is just one angle to check. Yes, it is the most critical angle, but the other alignment angeles are also important. Even though they may not be adjustable, it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be checked. A problem with a non adjustable angle could indicate another issue with the suspension like bent or worn parts. These would be more difficult to find with the ‘driveway’ method.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
              Participant

All you say is true. Still, it is so handy to be able to do toe.

I remember when I had the steering column out of my car – a problem with the heater box. You know what that entails. Well, when done the steering wheel wasn’t quite straight – off a spline. I could of pulled the steering column again but too much work. Just fix it down below.

MR2AaronMR2Aaron
                Participant

Good video; I kinda stopped watching when you started doing tool reviews. I guess that sort of thing has its place, but it didn’t really hold my interest.

Anyway, I came in here to comment because I couldn’t tell from the video if this was an option, but…

On Toyotas I’ve worked on, the inner tie rods had a section where they had a 12 or 14mm hex shape, so you could get an open end wrench on them. Could you not have saved yourself the hassle of getting that cotter pin out by just leaving the outer end on the knuckle and turning the inner end out of it?

Also, I’ve never seen a cotter pin get stuck like that, even on really old cars. Is that caused by years of exposure to road salt (which we don’t have where I live in Texas)?

Keymaster

[quote=”MR2Aaron” post=92122]Good video; I kinda stopped watching when you started doing tool reviews. I guess that sort of thing has its place, but it didn’t really hold my interest.

Anyway, I came in here to comment because I couldn’t tell from the video if this was an option, but…

On Toyotas I’ve worked on, the inner tie rods had a section where they had a 12 or 14mm hex shape, so you could get an open end wrench on them. Could you not have saved yourself the hassle of getting that cotter pin out by just leaving the outer end on the knuckle and turning the inner end out of it?

Also, I’ve never seen a cotter pin get stuck like that, even on really old cars. Is that caused by years of exposure to road salt (which we don’t have where I live in Texas)?[/quote]

You’re entitled to your opinion. For me, it’s been a long standing request that I do tool reviews. I know that not everyone is into them and I respect that. That’s why I only do them ever other week, but I do still post a repair video EVERY week. I do value your input.

Yes I could have just taken the inner tie rod out with the outer end still attached. I didn’t want to do it that way however. To me it wasn’t that difficult to do it the way I did. Yes, the cotter pin did give me trouble but hey, it makes for good video and also serves as a lesson to those that run into similar issues. So often I fall on my sword for you viewers so that you can benefit not only from my tutorials, but also from my mistakes and struggles as well.

As for what caused it. Ask the automotive gods. They like to throw curve balls once in a while. I can’t say why. I guess it’s to make us stronger just like anything else.

EricEric
                    Participant

Awesome video!! I’m about to start school to become an automotive technician and I’m trying to get anybody I know to let me help them work on their vehicles. I used this video and the other video you did when you first diagnosed the fairmont with bad inner tie rods to diagnose my father in laws car. (03 ford taurus). Basically an identical fix except I had to rent a tool to slip over the inner tie rod to take it off. There just wasn’t any room on this front wheel drive car for a pipe wrench. But I used all the things you showed us to do it. He’s taking it to get aligned soon and the process will be over. Again just want to say great video and thanks, you gave me the courage to pursue my dream of being an auto tech!! Keep up the great videos!

Keymaster

[quote=”ewhitaker0020″ post=96060]Awesome video!! I’m about to start school to become an automotive technician and I’m trying to get anybody I know to let me help them work on their vehicles. I used this video and the other video you did when you first diagnosed the fairmont with bad inner tie rods to diagnose my father in laws car. (03 ford taurus). Basically an identical fix except I had to rent a tool to slip over the inner tie rod to take it off. There just wasn’t any room on this front wheel drive car for a pipe wrench. But I used all the things you showed us to do it. He’s taking it to get aligned soon and the process will be over. Again just want to say great video and thanks, you gave me the courage to pursue my dream of being an auto tech!! Keep up the great videos![/quote]

Comments like this are my favorite. It’s always great to hear how my work helps people in a positive way. Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck in your career pursuits.

Lee AnnLee Ann

[quote=”barneyb” post=91246]As you say in your video, the only alignment setting affected by your repair is toe. On many front wheel drive cars the only adjustable alignment setting is toe. So, if you can do toe you can accomplish DIY alignment.

I made a trammel bar out of three pieces of wood. Unlike the tires on the Fairmont, most tires have straight rain grooves. On the Fairmont you’d have to spin and mark the tires. Anyway, measure front, measure rear and you have toe. I place painter’s tape on the uprights that go against the tread and my marks are pin pricks. The object is to be as accurate as possible.

I first saw a trammel bar at a race track and it was made of wood. So, anyway, this is easy but something most people don’t know how to do. I think it would make a good video.[/quote]

Hey barney, would you consider making this DIY video?
                          I am guessing there are plenty of DIYers who would be interested and Eric seems to have a very full plate. Just a thought, thanks.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…