Menu

How To Check Oil Pressure

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum How To Check Oil Pressure

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This is another one from the ‘Basics’ series. I chose my Fairmont to do this video for obvious reasons. Some have already mentioned that I should do a video explaining the difference between a sending unit and an oil pressure switch. What are your thoughts?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BillBill
      Participant

Thank you Eric for another informative video. I’m sure it will help many viewers perform proper oil pressure testing.

I believe you stated that your gauge was a cheapo so I’m sure the fluttering needle can be attributed to that.

I’m sure higher quality gauges have better dampening characteristics.

Keymaster

Perhaps. Funny thing is that I also shot a video on checking timing chain slack. In that video I found out that I have quite a bit. That could also be coming into play. Not worried though. I am going to replace the engine after all. 🙂

BretBret
          Participant

Another great video

Just at the end though about oil viscosity, as the engine ages would you want to put slightly higher viscosity oil compared to owners manual specs or should it be owners manual specifications through out its whole life and when it starts not doing its job means it needs to be rebuilt

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
            Participant

I think a video on pressure switches and senders would be very helpful. People see the oil light come on and we tell them they need to have the pressure checked with a mechanical gauge. The usual response to that is – what?. That video has been made.

The following questions often concern how the electrical system connected to the gauge or light works and how the device on the engine works. It is a very straight forward system and therefore should be easy to explain. But since I’ve been asked that question so many times I know it is a mystery to most.

Keymaster

[quote=”Yavion” post=94915]Another great video

Just at the end though about oil viscosity, as the engine ages would you want to put slightly higher viscosity oil compared to owners manual specs or should it be owners manual specifications through out its whole life and when it starts not doing its job means it needs to be rebuilt[/quote]

Personally I’m not a fan of using higher viscosity oils. On cold start ups it can actually starve the top end for oil actually increasing wear.

Keymaster

[quote=”barneyb” post=94947]I think a video on pressure switches and senders would be very helpful. People see the oil light come on and we tell them they need to have the pressure checked with a mechanical gauge. The usual response to that is – what?. That video has been made.

The following questions often concern how the electrical system connected to the gauge or light works and how the device on the engine works. It is a very straight forward system and therefore should be easy to explain. But since I’ve been asked that question so many times I know it is a mystery to most.[/quote]

I actually made this video to begin to address that question, I’m sure you’ve seen it here a lot. That said, each manufacturer has a slightly different approach when it comes to these systems. I think I would have a difficult time making a ‘definitive’ video on the topic but I’ll give it some thought and see what I can come up with.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…