Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • How To Replace a Honda Element Hood Cable

How To Replace a Honda Element Hood Cable

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum How To Replace a Honda Element Hood Cable

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Just to put things in perspective on this. The cable was broken in August 2015 and ‘repaired’ that same day. I went to the dealer in October 2015 and it was broken again. It took till February 2016 to do the repair. So if you’re wondering why I glued it in the first place, there’s your answer. It takes me a while to work on my own stuff sometimes, especially no critical things like hood cables.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Keymaster

BTW, these are the videos that go with the above explanation.

Jonathan StiverJonathan Stiver
        Participant

Very common problem indeed, the Honda dealer broke mine in the winter doing the airbag as well. Picked up another cable from junkyard, looking to do this soon as well, thanks for the comprehensive video.

Keymaster

[quote=”stiv625″ post=163819]Very common problem indeed, the Honda dealer broke mine in the winter doing the airbag as well. Picked up another cable from junkyard, looking to do this soon as well, thanks for the comprehensive video.[/quote]

I’m happy to help. It shouldn’t give you too much trouble. It’s a little fiddly but not bad. Good luck

Kazuo KuroiKazuo Kuroi
            Participant

Where should you find a hood cable for your Honda if its discontinued, besides junkyards ( none of the car in question are in yards near me )? Know of any places that sell hard to find Honda parts?

Keymaster

[quote=”Kazuo” post=163897]Where should you find a hood cable for your Honda if its discontinued, besides junkyards ( none of the car in question are in yards near me )? Know of any places that sell hard to find Honda parts?[/quote]

The Internet is your best friend. Start with a Google search. Good luck.

Kazuo KuroiKazuo Kuroi
                Participant

Alright, I’ve been looking for ages online and offline but I finally managed to find a place that claims to have them in stock. Hopefully, a call monday will confirm before I place an order. This has been going on for a month and I’m tired of bungee cording my hood.

Keymaster

[quote=”Kazuo” post=163956]Alright, I’ve been looking for ages online and offline but I finally managed to find a place that claims to have them in stock. Hopefully, a call monday will confirm before I place an order. This has been going on for a month and I’m tired of bungee cording my hood.[/quote]

Hood cables only work the release, if you can’t close your hood I’d be looking at the latch. If the cable is sticking, you can always reposition the latch to make it work properly so you can close the hood.

Kazuo KuroiKazuo Kuroi
                    Participant

The hood was closing fine. The latch was rusted, and I thought the cable had stretched so I cut a section of it to try yanking from the fender well. I ended up having to remove the front bumper. I rebuilt the latch and applied lots of antiseize and new springs. But the end result is the cable is stretched, so I need a new cable. Called them and they were out. The search goes on. You’d think with 300,000+ 88-91 Honda Preludes sold worldwide the parts would be as prevalent as its Accord and Legend Coupe siblings, but NOPE.

Keymaster

Preludes were always oddball vehicles that Honda used in a lot of their ‘experiments’. That may be working against you.

Kazuo KuroiKazuo Kuroi
                        Participant

I know they were. Its a great car though. The B20A engine is one of my favourite DOHC engines.

I’ve decided to go out on a limb and try a 4th gen accord hood cable, if its too long I can always tie a knot in one end of the cable to artificially make it shorter ( I got the idea from an integra forum post )

I’d rather keep this restoration of the Prelude as stock as possible you know? But sometimes improvising is needed.

Keymaster

[quote=”Kazuo” post=164098]I know they were. Its a great car though. The B20A engine is one of my favourite DOHC engines.

I’ve decided to go out on a limb and try a 4th gen accord hood cable, if its too long I can always tie a knot in one end of the cable to artificially make it shorter ( I got the idea from an integra forum post )

I’d rather keep this restoration of the Prelude as stock as possible you know? But sometimes improvising is needed.[/quote]

Good luck either way.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…