Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2004 Acura 3.2L TL Engine Replacement

2004 Acura 3.2L TL Engine Replacement

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum 2004 Acura 3.2L TL Engine Replacement

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This video was shot a year before it aired. Some of you will notice how different the shop is. That said, it took a while to complete this edit.

I know a lot of you want to see Fairmont videos right now, but this gives me time to complete those edits. I’m sure this will keep you happy until those videos start to roll out. At least I hope it will. It’s a great series. I think you’ll enjoy it.

BTW Premium Members have access to the full version of this video if you have to see it all right now.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Brian BurkeBrian Burke
      Participant

As you were banging that ball joint, I noticed no ear protection. Holy smokes! You still have any hearing left?

Jonathan StiverJonathan Stiver
        Participant

Awww isn’t this the car from the valve adjustment video? It was so minty back then, now it’s all ghetto haha

Ian WilliamsIan Williams
          Participant

Loving the video , just watched part of it , I’m doing in stages .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keymaster

[quote=”bkord123″ post=164693]As you were banging that ball joint, I noticed no ear protection. Holy smokes! You still have any hearing left?[/quote]

You’re the second person to mention that. Although I probably won’t wear ear protection every time I swing a hammer, I do plan to use it more when using power tools. In fact, in future videos I make more of an effort to do that very thing.

Thanks for your input.

Keymaster

[quote=”stiv625″ post=164698]Awww isn’t this the car from the valve adjustment video? It was so minty back then, now it’s all ghetto haha[/quote]

Several people have asked that. This is NOT the car from the valve adjustment video. THAT car was well looked after. This one was not.

Ian WilliamsIan Williams
                Participant

Watched the rest of it yesterday , good to see the replacement cat going on , didn’t know they had three though .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin BJustin B
                  Participant

Hey Eric,

Just wondering what the owner claims was wrong with the rear cylinder head, and what was the mileage on that engine? Was it lack of oil changes that lead to its “demise”?

My appologies if you mention this in the videos, I’m only about halfway through the first video.

Thank you!!

Keymaster

[quote=”jeb721″ post=164777]Hey Eric,

Just wondering what the owner claims was wrong with the rear cylinder head, and what was the mileage on that engine? Was it lack of oil changes that lead to its “demise”?

My appologies if you mention this in the videos, I’m only about halfway through the first video.

Thank you!![/quote]

You can’t check the mileage with no battery and I shot this over a year ago so I don’t remember.

IDK what was wrong with the head and I didn’t care. I was asked to replace the engine and I did just that. Personally I don’t think there was anything wrong with the cylinder head.

It was lack of maintenance and abuse that put this car in the shape it’s in.

CarmenCarmen
                      Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=164812][quote=”jeb721″ post=164777]Hey Eric,

Thank you!![/quote]

You can’t check the mileage with no battery and I shot this over a year ago so I don’t remember.

IDK what was wrong with the head and I didn’t care. I was asked to replace the engine and I did just that. Personally I don’t think there was anything wrong with the cylinder head.

It was lack of maintenance and abuse that put this car in the shape it’s in.[/quote]

Such a shame.

Despite the transmissions they were paired with being garbage the J series (at least the 3.2 and 3.5) are incredible engines. With just basic maintenance they can easily go over 200k miles.

You really have to run one into the ground in order to need it replaced entirely.

Jonathan StiverJonathan Stiver
                        Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=164738][quote=”stiv625″ post=164698]Awww isn’t this the car from the valve adjustment video? It was so minty back then, now it’s all ghetto haha[/quote]

Several people have asked that. This is NOT the car from the valve adjustment video. THAT car was well looked after. This one was not.[/quote]

Ah what a relief… I was crying inside, like what happened to this fine specimen haha

Justin BJustin B
                          Participant

> Personally I don’t think there was anything wrong with the cylinder head.

That’s kind of what I was thinking judging by your … uh… attitude towards this car. I picked that up pretty quick and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one. Normally you have a 2-3+ minute period explaining the car, and this one was a different story however maybe I’ve been used to the fixing it forward series. In my experience the J series is a pretty reliable engine (yeah yeah,,, the 98-2003’s had their EGR problems no doubt) but one that’s being replaced completely is a bit far and few between. To be clear not unheard of, but they’re a bit rare to have to be yanked out completely unless they were abused constantly and not taken care of.

None the less, I’m happy to see a j series engine swap video done by you. Always, excited to see what you’re going to post up on Friday here in Canada, and for me this was a good one. But… Fridays in Canada is jam night and of course I’m there jamming so I watch when I can.

So, Eric, since you’ve given me countless videos of awesomeness, I’d like to give you a bit of music in a basement, In Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada as you’ve said in the past you like Canadian Music in a basement none the less. :woohoo: I promise there’s more where that came from.

So here is a bunch of dudes (and a few other people watching having a drink) showing up for “jam night” in Nova Scotia, Canada. Not a band but we try our best when we show up for jam nights. I’m the drummer BTW. Can you name the song? 😆

EDIT: DAMN IT it says it in the preview.

Keymaster

[quote=”jeb721″ post=165111]> Personally I don’t think there was anything wrong with the cylinder head.

That’s kind of what I was thinking judging by your … uh… attitude towards this car. I picked that up pretty quick and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one. Normally you have a 2-3+ minute period explaining the car, and this one was a different story however maybe I’ve been used to the fixing it forward series. In my experience the J series is a pretty reliable engine (yeah yeah,,, the 98-2003’s had their EGR problems no doubt) but one that’s being replaced completely is a bit far and few between. To be clear not unheard of, but they’re a bit rare to have to be yanked out completely unless they were abused constantly and not taken care of.

None the less, I’m happy to see a j series engine swap video done by you. Always, excited to see what you’re going to post up on Friday here in Canada, and for me this was a good one. But… Fridays in Canada is jam night and of course I’m there jamming so I watch when I can.

So, Eric, since you’ve given me countless videos of awesomeness, I’d like to give you a bit of music in a basement, In Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada as you’ve said in the past you like Canadian Music in a basement none the less. :woohoo: I promise there’s more where that came from.

So here is a bunch of dudes (and a few other people watching having a drink) showing up for “jam night” in Nova Scotia, Canada. Not a band but we try our best when we show up for jam nights. I’m the drummer BTW. Can you name the song? 😆

EDIT: DAMN IT it says it in the preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aJQmZhrd6A%5B/quote%5D

This made my friggin day. Brought back a lot of great memories. Thank you!

Keymaster

Here’s Part 2. Tried something different with the intros. Let me know what you think.

apostolisapostolis
                                Participant

When doing an engine swap i think its wise to replace at least the timing belt (maybe the tensioner, water pump,etc..) the clutch (disck, bearing and maybe the pressure plate), the clutch slave cylinder, and the crankshaft oil seal. I know that these thinks cost money but i think its money well spent. These parts are relatively cheap and the labor for replacing them is the main cost of such repairs.

I liked the intro, keep up the good work

Keymaster

[quote=”apostolis” post=165213]When doing an engine swap i think its wise to replace at least the timing belt (maybe the tensioner, water pump,etc..) the clutch (disck, bearing and maybe the pressure plate), the clutch slave cylinder, and the crankshaft oil seal. I know that these thinks cost money but i think its money well spent. These parts are relatively cheap and the labor for replacing them is the main cost of such repairs.

I liked the intro, keep up the good work[/quote]

I belive I say those very words during the series at some point. Thanks for your input.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…