Menu

Theory on aftermarket intakes

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Engine Modifications Theory on aftermarket intakes

• Creator
    Topic
    dandan

the argument
      many argue a stock air box makes more power than a cold air intake because the engineers that designed the car in the first place had it right too begin with, and many others argue that a aftermarket intake gives you great power gains, but some people like me think it all depends on several factors, you cant just throw a Cold air intake on a vehicle running it on a Dino and expect too get results, we have too ask ourselves several questions, there is just a lot being over looked. keep in mind as you read on these are theories of mine, i am not typing them as if they are facts…

Intakes

Short air intake/open cone
      the idea behind a short air intake is too replace all the ducting, baffling, and corrugated tube that supposedly causes restriction buy the stock intake with short straight forward ducting and usually a large cone filter, this is supposed too increase power buy making it easier for the engine too breathe, but often it is argued that this can be bad because it causes the engine too breathe in hot air.

Cold air intake
      a cold air intake ducts your intake too a separate part of the engine bay allowing your engine too breathe in cooler air that is more condensed, as well as replacing a panel filter with a cone filter, and the corrugated tubing with smooth tubes for freer flow.

theory

1 how much of a demand is there for intake air from your cars current engine and how restrictive is the stock intake in your car?
      many people often go installing cold air intakes or open cone intakes thinking there are going too be major performance increases, the issue is how restrictive is the stock intake really too your current car. some vehicles have a engine that do not draw in much air and the stock intake may not be as restrictive as others, so installing a cold air intake or a short air intake on one of these vehicles may not result in much of a power gain over all, while some vehicles engines for performance could benefit from a increase in air flow and there stock intakes are restrictive too reduce induction noise, but even then still you will be lucky too get a 10% power gain from a aftermarket intake, a aftermarket intake really comes in handy when a car is HEAVILY modified… forced induction, cams, higher compression, being tuned for higher revs, these things demand more air, and at that point a stock air box can become very restrictive too the system, in this point noticeable power gains can be had from a aftermarket intake as the increase in air demand goes up

2 can your PCM compensate for the increase airflow?
      this is why i laugh at people who put a car on a dyno, and do a stock baseline run, then right afterwards slap a aftermarket intake on and expect some results, then when the dyno says they have lost power they either go “derp…. this proves that aftermarket intakes are useless.” or they cry about it, and the truth is all you have done is run the engine lean! why? because the PCM has not adjusted for the increase airflow buy adding more fuel too the air yet! it takes some time of driving or so many miles before the engine adjusts the fuel trim, otherwise expect a loss of power, and even then some engines won’t adjust the air fuel mixture they will simply throw a engine light and say “low manifold pressure” or simply wont adjust… so you have too ask yourself will or has the PCM adjusted for increased airflow?

3 did you install correctly? does it really work?
      some people take there aftermarket intake and install it incorrectly, some make there own aftermarket intake and its just a mess, they try and make some sort of cold air intake and tubes are going everywhere too get too the outside of the vehicle and in the end they got this tiny little open cone, this causes massive restriction, now your intake air has to go through this little cone filter and all over some tubes, intake boxes that go over the cone filter tightly to supply a cold air charge, now the air has too go through the box that has this tightly fitted filter, didn’t we try too avoid that with the stock air box? for best results its better too have as little plumbing as possible, with as few bends as possible, with a large a cone filter you can get on there with enough room too breathe, if you can get some cooler air its a bonus but in your hunt for cooler air if you have ducting everywhere and everything that should be breathing is a tight fit, you may not be gaining as much power.

4 forced induction VS cold air intakes
      now here is the big issue, i have seen it before, someone has a supercharged or turbocharged car and they put a cold air intake on, then they put this massive open cone on inside the engine bay that has tons of room too breathe with a very straight forward short tube that allows very free air flow and they gain power, they then blame Cold Air Intakes and say they are too restrictive and useless. here is the issue… in the case of forced induction when you compress air in a supercharger it is heated up correct? then it is cooled down buy the intercooler too a pretty consistent temperature, so my question is what point is there for a cold air intake now if the turbo or blower is heating the air up and it is being cooled down buy a intercooler or heat exchanger? this is especially the case with turbocharged engines, not only is the air being compressed which makes it hotter, the turbine and compressor is spinning at over 100,000 RPM and that’s lots of friction and more heat, as well as the whole thing is being driven buy hot exhaust which can range between 600 too several thousand degrees, i have seen Turbo Turbine sides glow! don’t for a second tell me that doesn’t heat up the compressor side. and with a roots blower where nylon coated rotors rub agenst one another as they mesh and rub agents the casing creating a lot of heat, the air is being heated up rapidly, then going through what might be a heat exchanger if it is installed! what power is there too gain now from a cold air intake? the best thing you can do now too decrease intake air temps is too increase the efficiency of the intercooler, or replace with a better one. the best place for a cold air intake is a N/A application in my opinion, where the cold air charge has the best chance of staying cold.

5 people being over crucial about cold air intakes.
      i think people don’t understand that the intake initially is the beginning of the travel of air, it will get heated up inside the intake tubes, going through the intake manifold, and into the combustion chamber, so cold air intake is not as effective as some like too say, so you have too be careful how far you go for that cold air charge because you may loose power in the process.

my verdict
      a cold air intake or short air intake is one of those modifications that you do as a every little thing counts, real power gains are from, forced induction, increasing compression, modifying the fuel system, cams, and tuning… a Cold Air intake is just one of those little things.

My experiences
      i have installed on my 2008 pontiac grand prix a cold air intake buy K&N… many tell me that i have over paid for my purchase perhaps i have perhaps not, but i like how the kit came with a mounting bracket for the PCM and the heat shield which doubles as a splash shield protecting the cone filter and PCM from water and debris. after installation the one thing i noticed most of all was throttle response, the car was quicker too respond too accelerator imput, a slight improvement in acceleration was noted, and a very angry induction roar was a great bonus… overall i was pleased, but weather it actually helps the air be “cold.” is another thing.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
      Participant

Increasing engine horsepower is like growing corn. To get more yield the farmer irrigates. Eventually, the corn has all the water it needs. What’s the next bottleneck? Probably nitrogen so add nitrogen. When the crop has all the nitrogen it needs then maybe potash.

How much power you can get out of an engine is determined by how much air you can move through it. So, find the biggest bottleneck and upgrade. Eventually or maybe right away the air box becomes a bottleneck, one of many.

The thing we don’t like to talk about is the engine itself being a bottleneck. Sooner or later if we keep increasing power, it is going to pop. So, if you wish to tread this path, first start out with a built engine with all forged internals.

Rob megeeRob megee
        Participant

I think a add on like a k&n won’t really make a difference on a mass air flow system. As you said, the mass air flow and PCM will adjust for the difference in air flow, if there is any. As long as fuel trims are in range, I think would be a slight adjustment. And like you said it will take some time for the PCM to adjust. I am not sure where any increase in horsepower will come from. Maybe at WOT because of a little less restriction? I tow a 8000lb trailer, if I really thought it would make any noticeable improvement, I would buy one. You explained it very well, thanks for the chance to discuss this. If the consensus is that this is more than snake oil, I will probably buy one.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
          Participant

I pulled a K&N out of my wife’s car a previous owner had installed. The pores in the filter were too large for my comfort. It was like looking through a fine window screen. But, it looked like it would flow more.

I know some people complain of the air sensor getting dirty when using this filter. Well, the rest of the dirt is going into the engine.

I drive a Mitsubishi product and if you install anything on it other than the factory air box the mass air sensor has trouble. This can be fixed by taking the vehicle to a tuner. That, I’m told can cost up to $500 per session.

People on the Mitsubishi forum have tested intake filter assemblies and we know what product filters and flows the best. So, I know what to buy if I wish to go this route but then I still face a tuner charge. I’m happy to stay with the factory box and if I want more flow I can always change the air filter sooner than recommended.

We have people on the Mitsu forum making 600 wheel horsepower out of 2 liters. There is not much you recognize when they raise the hood. If wise they will pull the engine and send it back to the builder once a year for inspection. This is amazing stuff to a poor boy like me.

dandan

[quote=”barneyb” post=99210]Increasing engine horsepower is like growing corn. To get more yield the farmer irrigates. Eventually, the corn has all the water it needs. What’s the next bottleneck? Probably nitrogen so add nitrogen. When the crop has all the nitrogen it needs then maybe potash.

How much power you can get out of an engine is determined by how much air you can move through it. So, find the biggest bottleneck and upgrade. Eventually or maybe right away the air box becomes a bottleneck, one of many.

The thing we don’t like to talk about is the engine itself being a bottleneck. Sooner or later if we keep increasing power, it is going to pop. So, if you wish to tread this path, first start out with a built engine with all forged internals.[/quote]

exactly, the greater increase and demand for air the more a stock intake becomes a restriction/bottleneck, and horsepower will suffer as a result, the same thing with exhaust, and eventually the connecting rods, crank shaft, pistons, cam, valves, valve springs even the cylinder walls and the block, all become a bottleneck because if they cannot handle the increase in power bang the engine goes, bend or break a rod, bee hive the valve springs, snap the crank, burn holes in the pistons because the fuel injectors aren’t strong enough and the engine goes lean, warp the valves, spin a bearing, snap a piston ring, cooling system not up too the task so you cook the engine, too much boost and blow a head gasket. with technology these days its not a question of weather we can get the horsepower its weather the engine can handle that much power before crapping the bed.

dandan

[quote=”Rob913meg” post=99222]I think a add on like a k&n won’t really make a difference on a mass air flow system. As you said, the mass air flow and PCM will adjust for the difference in air flow, if there is any. As long as fuel trims are in range, I think would be a slight adjustment. And like you said it will take some time for the PCM to adjust. I am not sure where any increase in horsepower will come from. Maybe at WOT because of a little less restriction? I tow a 8000lb trailer, if I really thought it would make any noticeable improvement, I would buy one. You explained it very well, thanks for the chance to discuss this. If the consensus is that this is more than snake oil, I will probably buy one.[/quote]

the issue with the K&N air filter elements “pannel filters.” is they promise really such a big gain, in reality you will be lucky too gain .5HP maybe 1-2HP at most, and in the end for a noticable increase in power we need a 7-10% gain, some people act like 1HP is something you will feel, not when your car already makes 205HP more in the case of my car, or in the case of something more high performance. once again real performance gains come from forced induction, increased compression, and the intake and fuel system and exhaust are modified too meet those demands, otherwise very small gains are noticed.

i installed the K&N Cold Air Intake KNOWING that the power increase would hardly be noticeable, i may have gained at 7% if that and the biggest improvements where throttle response and awesome induction noise, other than that once again i would get bigger gains from a GT cam or the ZZP intake inserts or going turbo, or doing a complete engine build and combo charging it.

dandan

[quote=”barneyb” post=99223]I pulled a K&N out of my wife’s car a previous owner had installed. The pores in the filter were too large for my comfort. It was like looking through a fine window screen. But, it looked like it would flow more.

I know some people complain of the air sensor getting dirty when using this filter. Well, the rest of the dirt is going into the engine.

I drive a Mitsubishi product and if you install anything on it other than the factory air box the mass air sensor has trouble. This can be fixed by taking the vehicle to a tuner. That, I’m told can cost up to $500 per session.

People on the Mitsubishi forum have tested intake filter assemblies and we know what product filters and flows the best. So, I know what to buy if I wish to go this route but then I still face a tuner charge. I’m happy to stay with the factory box and if I want more flow I can always change the air filter sooner than recommended.

We have people on the Mitsu forum making 600 wheel horsepower out of 2 liters. There is not much you recognize when they raise the hood. If wise they will pull the engine and send it back to the builder once a year for inspection. This is amazing stuff to a poor boy like me.[/quote]

its important too note several things about a K&N filter and most oil based filters, they are a cotton gauze element, yes they flow easier because they are not as compacted as paper, BUT! the oil in them is supposed too trap the smaller dirt particles, it is also important too note that even paper filters do not filter out dirt perfectly! very small dirt particles will pass buy and i have seen it before, i worked on bobcats and they had a standard paper filter element, and a smaller one inside, the smaller one inside had dirt all over it too, it scared me to see how much dirt actually passes through filters after a period, the biggest thing you can do too prevent dirt passing through is changing your filter and cleaning it on occasion…

and once again a tune yes most cars need tunes for these aftermarket intakes, filters, and as far as the MAF getting oil on it and a little bit of dirt, mass air flow sensor cleaner!

JamieJamie
                  Participant

Ooooo good topic! Ill opt in my opinions here:

Most of the cars I see with cone filters and a short intake install its just been slapped on basicly for the “trick” factor. Driving the car shows no difference other than a cool sound. I’ve seen the same cars tested a dyno with both multiple times and as expected saw no difference in torque/HP. In a buddies Jeep he noted a serious decrease in fuel economy almost right away. Granted, that may have been him just enjoying the differant grunty sound and putting his foot further on the gas pedal too. In some vehicles there was a small HP gain but how often to really go deep into your HP pockets? Almost never. It boggles me to death how people just don’t understand that if you want to accelerate better, or race to the next red light faster its improved torque you want.

I like sticking with the stock intake system. It was designed around the car and I don’t drive a crazy modified, high power engine around either. Most of the cars I work on are also just daily drivers that don’t need an improved intake. They need fuel economy, emissions passing, and reliability. Where I live is also insanely wet 2/3 of the year. I know it takes a lot of moisture, or a lake to hydra lock a cylinder up but the stock intakes on most cars do a better job of allowing moisture from road spray to separate and not get sucked into the intake. That being said the hydra locking argument could go on for days and days. I know what kind of water can go through and engine after a hose was accidentally pointed at the intake of an idling car. It didn’t die or lock, sputtered a bit, shot some grimmey moisture out the pipe and that was it. Has never skipped a beat since either. People forget that the old fashioned way to clean carbon from an engine was to spray water into the carburetor and steam clean the cylinders.

The cars I see and agree/understand having a short air and cone intake are usually ones that have had an engine swap to something more fun and there just wasn’t the room to mount the intake system that came with the car the engine came out of. In that same breath most of them are turbo engines that have some form of an intercooler on them so it doesn’t really matter if the going in is warmer.

As far as K&N filters go, I have used them in all my vehicles. I don’t believe for a second that you’ll get any HP gain from it. Yes, am OEM paper filter for my car is $8 and it would take 6 or 7 paper filter changes to equal what the K&N filter and cleaner/oil kit cost me, but its amazing how many people will offer you $10-$15 to borrow it over night and re do their filters with it. I know air flows differantly through my panel K&N filter because the noise it makes is different. Wether its better flowing who knows.

I tend to go with you’re better off changing the exhaust system first for something larger and has better flow first. No sense having the ability to get air in faster/smoother if you can get the exhaust out better first. Turbo or NA.

The coolest intake kit I’ve ever seen, also the most expensive is a replacement intake manifold for VR6/R32 VW engines with a turbo on them. It had super short intake runners and a built in liquid to air intercooler that ran on a small electric pump and reservoir mounted on the rad shroud filled with the same type of coolant the engine used. Everything about that system is designed for reducing air restriction. The charged air feed was direct and short from the turbo to the manifold, and the fresh air feed to the turbo was short too. Some serious brains went into that kit. It was a while ago but that car on the dyno was 400 and change horsepower. And sitting shotgun I was actually a bit scared at how fast it accelerated and drove. Thank god for grippy tires, biiiiiiig brakes, and all wheel drive.

dandan

i agree heavily with most of your statements many times a short air intake is just installed too make more room for modifications, if i where too get my car turbocharged i would probably have too completely re do my intake and there goes $300 down the drain, but hey i liked the intake, with that being said i could probably re use the cone filter, having a short air intake does allow more room for the fun stuff.

and yes people will argue with you about hydro lock, what really alarms me especially with the W body community as i have seen these fender well intakes, some people will remove the plastic lining from the inside of the fender too make more room for a larger cone filter, THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! those are there for a reason, and now your air intake is exposed too whatever the tire flings up, including massive amounts of water from a mud puddle… resulting in possibly hydro-lock.

and also agree that you will really not gain noticeable power with a panel filter and i kinda already explained a noticeable difference in power is a 7% too 10% gain in power, you will be lucky too get any sort of gain with a K&N filter element, maybe 1-2HP and that’s it, that’s a miniscule gain.

JamieJamie
                      Participant

I just find it fascinating that people will spend $100 for a 1 hp gain, when that same $100 could go into a full tune up that would probably bring back 5-6HP the engine has lost being run on old worn out stuff. IE Ignition components. It also fascinates me that people will spend $1000 on performance upgrades when the key fundimental parts like the block, crank, bearings, pistons and rings, all have 250,000+ km on them and aren’t going to improve.

Unless you race your car on the track it makes more sense to improve torque. Saying that I’ve learnt over the years that the best way to have more torque is to have more displacement.

One power mod I did make to my car that did give it a couple extra ponys and a bit more torque was swapping injectors out. The stock injectors -albeit not cheap- were just very basic single pintle ones designed for the economy box the car was sold as. I swapped them out for a set off a super charged version of the same platform. They have a much higher maximum flow rate as well as a much better and finer spray pattern. You can feel it particularly when you push the car into wide open throttle and the computer ignores the ECT and O2 sens. I did have to adjust the idle and Co mixture afterwards but it defiantly feels a bit zippier.

BillBill
                        Participant

IMHO Nobody can say there is or is not a benefit from installing a K+N air intake. I think there are huge variables from car to car and setup to setup. If you have installed and dyno’d hundreds of cars I might believe the results and have an opinion. I do think that most Nippy 4 cylinder cars do not get the benefit from them. The engines simply do not move enough air. That said, I also think that some manufactures stock air intake is restrictive and could benefit from an aftermarket air intake.

Now, several years ago I was an independent propane installer for U.P.S and Purolator here in Canada. I installed propane on more trucks than I would dare to remember. Since in those days Propane was induced with the intake air there was a noticeable decrease in horsepower, like about 10 to 15% over gasoline powered trucks because the propane vapor displaced a big chunk of air. I wore out 2 400 HP water brake dynos in 10 years trying many, many things to increase HP on those trucks. Propane is 112 octane but it burns very quickly so ignition timing is extremely critical or say goodbye to pistons and valves.

The largest increase in HP came from installing a cold air intake system, and I was able to advance the ignition timing a couple of degrees to boot. After years of experimenting I could send the trucks out the door with almost the same HP figures as a gasoline powered engine with more response as a bonus. I should have patented my cold air intake system as the system was installed on hundreds of trucks.

dandan

[quote=”JS” post=99755]I just find it fascinating that people will spend $100 for a 1 hp gain, when that same $100 could go into a full tune up that would probably bring back 5-6HP the engine has lost being run on old worn out stuff. IE Ignition components. It also fascinates me that people will spend $1000 on performance upgrades when the key fundimental parts like the block, crank, bearings, pistons and rings, all have 250,000+ km on them and aren’t going to improve.

Unless you race your car on the track it makes more sense to improve torque. Saying that I’ve learnt over the years that the best way to have more torque is to have more displacement.

One power mod I did make to my car that did give it a couple extra ponys and a bit more torque was swapping injectors out. The stock injectors -albeit not cheap- were just very basic single pintle ones designed for the economy box the car was sold as. I swapped them out for a set off a super charged version of the same platform. They have a much higher maximum flow rate as well as a much better and finer spray pattern. You can feel it particularly when you push the car into wide open throttle and the computer ignores the ECT and O2 sens. I did have to adjust the idle and Co mixture afterwards but it defiantly feels a bit zippier.[/quote]

yea some people will waste a lot of money thinking they will get major Horsepower improvement, i bought the parts knowing what i would get, i plan too swap out for the SC engine injectors as well as doing intake inserts as well as a free flow cat, maybe one day when i get the time i will get a turbo! but then it would probably be wise too get the transmission overhauled and beefed up a little bit, 4T65EHD transmission parts are WELL advised at that point…

yes and i already did a tune up on my engine, plugs, wires, regular oil changes, she runs like a top and the modifications i have done too her make her run a little better, most of them are those bolt on modifications you speak of, but thats what i have time for or i would be doing more!

dandan

[quote=”wysetech” post=99814]IMHO Nobody can say there is or is not a benefit from installing a K+N air intake. I think there are huge variables from car to car and setup to setup. If you have installed and dyno’d hundreds of cars I might believe the results and have an opinion. I do think that most Nippy 4 cylinder cars do not get the benefit from them. The engines simply do not move enough air. That said, I also think that some manufactures stock air intake is restrictive and could benefit from an aftermarket air intake.

Now, several years ago I was an independent propane installer for U.P.S and Purolator here in Canada. I installed propane on more trucks than I would dare to remember. Since in those days Propane was induced with the intake air there was a noticeable decrease in horsepower, like about 10 to 15% over gasoline powered trucks because the propane vapor displaced a big chunk of air. I wore out 2 400 HP water brake dynos in 10 years trying many, many things to increase HP on those trucks. Propane is 112 octane but it burns very quickly so ignition timing is extremely critical or say goodbye to pistons and valves.

The largest increase in HP came from installing a cold air intake system, and I was able to advance the ignition timing a couple of degrees to boot. After years of experimenting I could send the trucks out the door with almost the same HP figures as a gasoline powered engine with more response as a bonus. I should have patented my cold air intake system as the system was installed on hundreds of trucks.[/quote]

suppose that is just an example of how a intake system can increase power.

JamieJamie
                              Participant

That was a good read about the propane. You don’t see a lot of that anymore. When will the topic of water/methanol injection come up? 🙂

dandan

Water Methanol injection is awesome! allows great advances i ignition timing, higher boost, they used it extensively in WWII fighters like P-47s and P-51s and BF-109G-10 Messerschmitts, they simply called it water injection or water alcohol injection for the American airplanes the BF-109G-10 was fitted with the MW-50 Water methanol injection which allowed higher boost from its supercharger and a grand total of 1,800HP for about 5 or 10 minutes. the P-47s R-2800 boosted too 2,450HP with it, and the P-51H Mustang pushed out 2,200HP from the Rolls Royce Packard Merlin V-1650-9 V12 propelling it at speeds above 480MPH.

Ian WilliamsIan Williams
                                  Participant

This is what I have on in my car ,it’s made by an Australian company , it’s a lot bigger than the standard intake , the car is a 2005 Holden Commodore SV6 , with the 3.6 litre HFV6 –

also these , which are insulators , to give a cooler intake charge,
                                    Do they work , well yes , to a degree they do , the car sounds throatier due to the intake and has a more torque down low , this is aided by the insulators , but however a bit has been lost at the top end ,
                                    I look at like this , I’m a runner , if I went out with a peg on my nose and went for a run , it would not be long before I was left gasping for breath , a car is the same , its a big air pump , suck , squeeze , bang &blow, if you can help it breath better that has to be a good thing , if I was to fit a freer flowing exhaust it would gain a bit more , but I don’t like the sound that some of them make .

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…