Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Volvo S40 burning 1.5L of oil per 1000km

Volvo S40 burning 1.5L of oil per 1000km

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Volvo S40 burning 1.5L of oil per 1000km

• Creator
    Topic
    JanJan
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I’m having some trouble with a Volvo S40, and I’m hoping you could help me in determining the cause of my problem.

So the car is Volvo S40, stock, made in 2005, with the engine B4184S11, 1.8l, 125HP (European market), manual gearbox.

The car has 115,000 kilometers and is burning almost 1.5 liters of oil per 1000 kilometers. The car was never crashed, never had any issues, driven normally/conservatively and was regularly serviced and maintained according to Volvo service directions in authorized Volvo mechanic shop.

During the first 60,000km car wasn’t burning oil at all, between two service intervals (15,000km) there was no need to add oil.

After that, from about 60,000km, suddenly engine started burning oil. From 60,000km up to 100,000km it was burning around 0.3, 0.4 liters of oil per 1000km. I’d like to stress that there was a sudden jump in oil consumption. Consumption did not rise gradually, from 0 it went up instantly to 0.3, 0.4 and stayed that way until 100,000km. From the very beginning the same oil was used – Valvoline SynPower 5W-40. On the recommendation of a mechanic, the oil was changed to Shell 10W-40, but the consumption did not change.

Things again changed after 100,000km. Again, oil consumption suddenly increased between 1.2 and 1.5 liters per 1000km. Again, on a mechanic recommendation, type of oil was changed to Ford Formula F 5W-30 (M2C913-B), but without any affect on oil consumption.

The car was checked by authorized Volvo mechanics and this is what they’ve found (and what was observed during the drive):
      – engine compression – ok
      – Spark plugs – ok, grey without any residue
      – diagnostic did not show any error codes
      – exhaust (eco) test – ok
      – exhaust doesn’t have any leaks
      – when engine is started cold a small amount of black smoke comes out
      – when accelerating after driving for a couple hundreds of meters downhill without touching the accelerator pedal, a lot of white/blue smoke comes out of the exhaust
      – during normal driving (accelerating or not) no smoke comes out of the exhaust

From all of the above it seems that oil rings (if that is what they’re called) on pistons are worn out, but I’m really surprised because the car doesn’t have that much kilometers and was driven carefully.

Could you please help me in pointing out what could cause such symptoms, are there any tests that can be made in order to determine the cause with more certainty, and what has to be done in order to solve the problem.

Thank you all in advance!

Eraser

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JoshMcJoshMc
      Participant

My first thought would be to check or replace the (PCV) Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. This valve provides a vacuum to the lower crankcase to make the downward movement of the pistons smoother and also remove hydrocarbons from the oil and burn them through the combustion chambers. When this valve gets worn or contaminated the check valve inside will let oil pass and enter the intake manifold where it gets sucked in with the intake air.
        The vacuum system on gasoline engines increases at idle and decreases with throttle application so the fact that it seems to burn oil when driving downhill when you are not touching the throttle seems to confirm this. Another factor that may add to the oil consumption is the hose or design of the PCV tubing. For instance if the system has the valve inserted into the valve cover then drops to a lower point before coming back up to connect with the intake it can create a valley where oil can pool until the vacuum level increases or the vehicle is facing a direction that allows the oil to drain from the area and suddenly enter the engine.

The valve stem seals can allow oil to be consumed but generally tend to cause blue grey smoke when the motor is started or after it is left idling for a while. You will generally notice a puff of smoke as the throttle is pressed pulling away from a stop. You mentioned black smoke in the post which is normally a sign of excessive fuel but could be from carbon build up in the exhaust system so I don’t think this is going to be the issue with oil consumption.

Lastly you will want to closely inspect the outside of the engine for any oil leakage. Sometimes the oil can leak and drip from somewhere that is not easy to locate. I have seen cars that had oil dripping from the bottom of the intake manifold onto the inner fender and traveling down to the mud flap so that it looked like the driver had driven through oil from another vehicle. But after looking closer it became apparent that the oil was coming from the PCV system and the hose had a small crack that was allowing oil to come out after the engine was shut off and the vacuum leaked out enough to allow the oil to seep out.

Hope this helps you out and keep us posted.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

I would also recommend a compression test and possibly a leak down test –

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

[quote=”JoshMc” post=34345]My first thought would be to check or replace the (PCV) Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. This valve provides a vacuum to the lower crankcase to make the downward movement of the pistons smoother and also remove hydrocarbons from the oil and burn them through the combustion chambers. When this valve gets worn or contaminated the check valve inside will let oil pass and enter the intake manifold where it gets sucked in with the intake air.
            The vacuum system on gasoline engines increases at idle and decreases with throttle application so the fact that it seems to burn oil when driving downhill when you are not touching the throttle seems to confirm this. Another factor that may add to the oil consumption is the hose or design of the PCV tubing. For instance if the system has the valve inserted into the valve cover then drops to a lower point before coming back up to connect with the intake it can create a valley where oil can pool until the vacuum level increases or the vehicle is facing a direction that allows the oil to drain from the area and suddenly enter the engine.

The valve stem seals can allow oil to be consumed but generally tend to cause blue grey smoke when the motor is started or after it is left idling for a while. You will generally notice a puff of smoke as the throttle is pressed pulling away from a stop. You mentioned black smoke in the post which is normally a sign of excessive fuel but could be from carbon build up in the exhaust system so I don’t think this is going to be the issue with oil consumption.

Lastly you will want to closely inspect the outside of the engine for any oil leakage. Sometimes the oil can leak and drip from somewhere that is not easy to locate. I have seen cars that had oil dripping from the bottom of the intake manifold onto the inner fender and traveling down to the mud flap so that it looked like the driver had driven through oil from another vehicle. But after looking closer it became apparent that the oil was coming from the PCV system and the hose had a small crack that was allowing oil to come out after the engine was shut off and the vacuum leaked out enough to allow the oil to seep out.

Hope this helps you out and keep us posted.[/quote]

+1 I don’t know if I could do much better than this. I was also thinking valve seals. Actually when you slow down and are at closed throttle. At that time intake vacuum goes to max and if you have valve seal problems it will show up during these times and you’ll notice smoke from the tail pipe. I suspect you have a valve seal issue and you might consider removing the valve cover and checking them.

The PCV is also a possibility.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…