Menu

Astro Van hesitates when cold

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Astro Van hesitates when cold

• Creator
    Topic
    RayRay
    Participant

I have a 2000 Astro Van 4.3L and after starting and driving first thing in the morning it hesitates and stumbles, like it’s cutting out. If I accelerate I don’t feel it, but when I return to normal driving it returns until it warms up, then it responds normal. This happens from a dead stop on acceleration to about 35 mph. I have changed the fuel filter so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

here are some videos to help you get started.
        check the normal tune up stuff.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

If the problem is not present after the vehicle has warmed up, you may have a gasket leaking (vacuum leak) seeing as metal expands once warmed up.

Keep us posted.

Jason Alexmckrishes
          Participant

I would check the oxygen sensors for proper function and the exhaust system to make sure there is no restriction.

RayRay
            Participant

I’ve heard that these 4.3 engines tend to leak at the intake manifold too, but I think I would notice it while it idles.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

It depends on how severe the leak is.

You would need to look at fuel trim numbers.

Id also do a cooling system pressure test as the lower intakes on those motors can be known to leak.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

Start with any check engine lights you might have. The above videos will get you started and here are a few that may also help.

Vacuum leaks

Re Performance Problems

RayRay
                  Participant

Don’t really know what happened, but one day I decided to unplug the connector to the air flow meter and plug it back in, then tapped on the meter with a screwdriver handle, and it’s been running good ever since.

Thanks guys for the input.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

Thanks very much for the update. In the future if you have the issue again you may want to clean or replace the MAF sensor. Keep us posted if things change.

college mancollege man

Thanks for the update. 🙂

davedave
                        Participant

I just want to say that I also hesitate when it’s cold. :dry:

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…