Menu

Mice in HVAC

• Creator
    Topic
    BrianBrian
    Participant

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado Z71. I don’t use it very often as I have a commuter car (better gas mileage). Anyway, as it sometimes sits for periods without using it, I had mice get inside. I tried putting traps and I think I’m probably just drawing them inside as I kept catching them. There were droppings everywhere on the floor, in the glove box, etc. Also, when I turned on the heater, confetti flew out everywhere.

I put a few bags of Fresh Cab Natural Rodent Repellent, sprayed peppermint oil, Lysol, etc. and I’m hoping they’ll stop getting in there. However, now I need to get rid of the unbelievably awful smell coming from the ventilation. I took it to the stealership and they charged me like $100 and said they didn’t really find anything in the ducts. The next day I bought some HVAC spray foam with a long tube, emptied the bottle in there, waited, and then turned my heater on per the instructions. Low and behold, a dead baby mouse came flying out. I’ve used two bottles of this stuff and although it makes the truck smell good for a week or so, the smell quickly comes back. I need to get rid of these dirty little buggers so I can have the interior shampooed, etc.

My question is, how do I really get in there and clean this properly? Take apart the dash, take off blower motor, replace cabin filter(s)? I also picked up some Nature’s Miracle Urine cleaner which is supposed to clean and neutralize the smell.

Please help! I’ve gotta get this smell out of there. It is unbearable!

Thanks,
      Brian

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      davedave
      Participant

I’d look at taking out the dash and the entire HVAC assembly. I’d go through the entire HVAC assembly and clean it out as best as possible.

Also look into getting a couple cats.

BrianBrian
        Participant

Thanks Wrench Turner. Any suggestions on where to go for instructions on how to do this? I had taken most of the dash apart not so long ago. However, how much of the HVAC assembly comes apart? I looked a bit on YouTube and didn’t find much.

Unfortunately, I live in a heavily wooded area and our (mostly indoor) cat I believe was eaten by a fisher cat or fox or something. My truck is not in a garage and we do have some strays running around.

davedave
          Participant

I’ll look up the procedure for your vehicle when I get to school tomorrow.

WayneWayne
            Participant

Once you get the instructions from Wrench, I’d secure the openings with screening (screen door mesh) from like home depot or the like. I’d do the same for the air-box opening, they usually go for that as well. Cheap, effective, and with the plastic housings, easy to secure with wood screws. Usually pretty effective to keep them out.

If you notice any nibbles on the wiring I’d then also coat them with poison, they love wiring insulation for some reason as well, causing some wiring havoc from time to time.

BrianBrian
              Participant

That would be awesome. Thanks again.

davedave
                Participant

HVAC Module Assembly Replacement

TOOLS REQUIRED
                  J 43181 Quick Connect Connector Removal Tool

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Drain the engine coolant.

Using the J 43181 disconnect the inlet heater hose from the heater core.
                  2.1. Install the J 43181 to the heater core pipe.
                  2.2. Close the tool around the heater core pipe.
                  2.3. Firmly pull the tool into the quick connect end of the heater hose.
                  2.4. Firmly grasp the heater hose. Pull the heater hose forward in order to disengage the inlet hose from the heater core.

Using the J 43181 disconnect the surge tank outlet hose from the heater core.
                  3.1. Install the J 43181 to the heater core pipe.
                  3.2. Close the tool around the heater core pipe.
                  3.3. Firmly pull the tool into the quick connect end of the heater hose.
                  3.4. Firmly grasp the heater hose. Pull the heater hose forward in order to disengage the surge tank outlet hose from the heater core.

• Remove the accumulator.
                  • Remove the instrument panel carrier.
                  • Remove the HVAC module drain hose.
                  • Disconnect the electrical harnesses and the ground connections from the HVAC module.
                  • Remove the nuts (4) from the HVAC module (2).
                  • Remove the bolts (3) from the HVAC module (2).
                  • Remove the HVAC module (2) from the vehicle (1).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

• If replacing the HVAC module, transfer the components from the old HVAC module as necessary.
                  • Install the HVAC module (2) to the vehicle (1).
                  • Install the nuts (4) to the HVAC module (2). NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Tighten the nuts to 9 N.m (80 lb in) .
                  • Install the bolts(4) to the HVAC module (2). Tighten Tighten the bolts to 4 N.m (35 lb in) .
                  • Connect the electrical harnesses and the ground connections.
                  • Install the HVAC module drain hose.
                  • Install the instrument panel carrier.
                  • Install the accumulator.
                  • Install the surge tank outlet hose to the heater core. Firmly push the quick connect onto the heater core pipe until you hear an audible click.
                  • Install the inlet heater hose to the heater core. Firmly push the quick connect onto the heater core pipe until you hear an audible click.
                  • Fill the engine coolant.
                Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…