Menu

04 durango 5.7 hemi

• Creator
    Topic
    mike stammersmike stammers
    Participant

If anyone out there has a 04-05 Dodge Durango with the 5.7 hemi, you should know what I am talking about. If you don’t, pay attention. The 04 mainly has an issue with the windshield cowl leaking rainwater onto the engine. over time the water gets into the cylinders and causes catastrophic failure of the engine. I will post some pics. These engines are hard to find now and over priced. My question is, why can’t I put in a different engine? A newer hemi, an older 5.9? It seems as though no one can answer this for me, except to say that the wire harness would have to be changed. I would like someone who knows what they are talking about to point out the good, bad, and the ugly of changing to a different motor. Thanks for your time.
      P.s. ETCG, I would really like to hear your point on this.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ConnorConnor
      Participant

All this is coming from owning a Volkswagon and doing motor swaps on them, It all is the same. Wire harness, Drivetrain, ecu, how the motor mounts/transmission ect… Unless there is a common swap that is done with them it will not be easy and will most likely not be worth it when it comes the the fab work and the trips to the local parts store.

Participant

so, you think changing the motor to a newer version of the hemi will be the same problems as say swapping to a chevy engine? Pretty much I have no choice but to put in a 04 or 05 hemi?

college mancollege man

You would have harness issues,ecu issues. you may be able to stab
            the motor in but all the other issues. You would need to use the same
            type of engine or change everything. If you did put a new hemi in.you
            may be able to use a holley kit that has its own ecu. You would have to
            investigate it.I no they make a kit that self tunes itself.

Participant

Thanks for the info. I guess, cost wise, I should stick with a rebuilt 04 5.7 hemi.

Walter CherybaWalter Cheryba
              Participant

WOW! I’m really interested in this scenario-how does the rainwater end up getting into the engine cylinders? I believe you but have not ever heard of this problem. Please enlighten me, thank you.

Participant

If you do a search online for 04 durango engine failure, you will find hundreds if not thousands of chats and videos on youtube. IF you search the national transportation bureau’s web site for 04 durango, there are hundreds of complaints about this same exact ( I mean the description from everyone is IDENTICAL to what happened to me) thing. I guess over time the intake gasket starts to leak. I had my truck in the shop a few years ago, because I thought the oil cap smelled like gasoline. The mechanic told me that water was getting into the engine because of the intake tube and filter I had put on the truck. He said It was common with the cone filters and wouldn’t hurt anything because it would be such a small amount getting in. We have had a lot of rain for the past 2 years and I knew nothing about the issue with the cowl leaking. Then one day I was leaving a parking lot on a rainy day( it had been raining all day)and the engine sounded like I was grinding up rocks in it. When I pulled over I had a hole the size of a small orange in the side of my block. The rest is history. I find it funny that the NTSB will force car companies to do a recall because of 1 or 2 idiots didn’t know how to drive(Toyota) but they wont do a thing when hundreds have a problem with a Government owned auto maker. Makes you wonder.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…