Menu

1998 Mazda protege overheating…

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1998 Mazda protege overheating…

• Creator
    Topic
    MikeMike
    Participant

Hi brand new to the forum. Here is a bit of history of what I’ve done so far. My daughters 98 protege had an overheating problem which turned out to be a bad radiator so I replaced it and the thermostat, a few days later it started leaking from the pulley side of the car which showed to be a water pump replaced it and the timing belt while I was there. Now it is still overheating but there is no signs of leaking and there is no mixing happening in the oil. The temp climbs up sometimes when sitting still and usually goes back down when u start driving but that only works for a little bit. So where do I need to look now to find what is causing the overheating?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

First, did you bleed the system? If not, do that first. You could have air pockets in the system…This especially has to be done when you replace a radiator and water pump… See video below.

Second, are the cooling fans coming on when they are supposed to?

Third, check the radiator cap and do a pressure test on the system. HF sells an affordable pressure tester.

Lastly, there can be a rupture in the head gasket, head or block that can cause the coolant to overheat and not get into the oil… A block test can find this out by testing for the presence of combustable gasses in the chamber.

BillBill
        Participant

Be sure there is no air in the system and check to see if the cooling fan(s) are working. If it was overheating badly there is a possibility of a head gasket problem.

college mancollege man
            MikeMike
            Participant

Thank you all for the response, I did bleed the system after each R&R, and the fans are operating correctly but I have not done a pressure test yet. So this will be my next step and with my luck I’m sure I will have to replace the head gasket. Lucky for me it’s just one gasket. Thanks again for the vids, links, and advice they where much appreciated.

college mancollege man

keep us posted on your progress. 🙂

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…