Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • VTC oil control solenoid valve stuck in the head!

VTC oil control solenoid valve stuck in the head!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here VTC oil control solenoid valve stuck in the head!

• Creator
    Topic
    Bret CarlsonBret Carlson
    Participant

I have a 2005 Accord 4 cyl EX that I am trying to replace the VTC oil control solenoid valve on. The top half of the valve snapped off in my hand leaving the rest of the valve embedded in the head. It’s stuck! Won’t twist, turn or move. The new one doesn’t show any notch or such that would cause it to lock in place so I am concerned it is welded to the head or frozen, but it is definitely stuck. I’ve been after it with pliers and can’t get that thing to budge. How can I get it out? I think I have to pull the valve cover and go in from the back side but haven’t torn into an engine like that before and want to make sure I’ll have access before I tear into the engine and run the risk of screwing something up.

Suggestions?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      TomTom
      Participant

I don’t believe that you will have any access from behind. I fear you will need to find a way to pull it from the outside.

george gonzalezgeorge gonzalez
        Participant

Isn’t there a hex head bolt sticking out of the top? That’s what holds it in place.

Bret CarlsonBret Carlson
          Participant

I’ve tried 90 degree long-reach pliers, small needle-nose pliers, small electrical pliers and no luck. can’t get enough of a grab on it to gain any leverage. Figure I am going to have to move all the hard lines (can’t remember what they are to) in front of it so i can get a direct straight on shot at it. Any recommendations otherwise?

Bret CarlsonBret Carlson
            Participant

There’s one screw holding it in place. It came out without issue, but the electronic part snapped off and now I can’t get the body out of the unit out.

Bret CarlsonBret Carlson
              Participant

Here’s a quick example of what I’m trying to do. You’ll have to click on the images to get tehm to expand, but the bottom one is a good example.
                http://members.iwebplanet.net/jcasti1226/cursos/Service%20Manual/A/HTML/00/SEA3E00A14680863365FJAT00.HTML

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

I believe the solenoid assembly is held in place by 3 fasteners.

george gonzalezgeorge gonzalez
                  Participant

From the drawing it looks like it goes in loosely with a o-ring sealing it. Since it’s broken, you can try more drastic measures. Try hitting the top of it 10 times with a medium-sized hammer. If that doesn’t loosen it, try tapping it to the side. It looks sturdy enough that you’re unlikely to break it.

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
                    Participant

[quote=”grg8888″ post=82798]From the drawing it looks like it goes in loosely with a o-ring sealing it. Since it’s broken, you can try more drastic measures. Try hitting the top of it 10 times with a medium-sized hammer. If that doesn’t loosen it, try tapping it to the side. It looks sturdy enough that you’re unlikely to break it.[/quote]

Wonder if he can thread a self tapping screw into it to have something to lock a set of vicegrips on.

Bret CarlsonBret Carlson
                      Participant

Thanks Eric. Evidently I’m not calling the part by the right name. The image Raistian77 has below is actually what I’m trying to replace. It’s only held in with one screw from all the documentation I’ve seen and from the replacement part I’ve already purchased. I just can’t get in under the head with pliers or anything to pull the piece out.

Bret CarlsonBret Carlson
                        Participant

It took a pair of 6″ extended vice grips, some 90 degree extended pliers, some contorting and some elbow grease but I finally got it out and the new one it. Here’s a picture of the one that came apart alongside the new one.

still have the original problem though…cutting out at 2600-2700 RPM. Going to research that and start a new thread if need be.

thanks for everyone’s help!

Attachments:
                          Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
                          Participant

Glad you got it out.

Yeah open a new thread and let us know what is going on?

Keymaster

If it was cutting out I would have suggested looking at the ignition system, the plugs and coil packs. Also, if that engine gets low on oil, the timing chain can stretch. Perhaps look into those things for the problem you’re having. BTW, the only issues I’ve ever seen with Honda VTEC system were due to low oil or incorrect oil viscosity.

Ricardo CarregaRicardo Carrega
                              Participant

StubbornMech,

I’m having the same problem on trying to replace my OCV on my 2007 Hyundai Sonata.
                                Can you please share some additional details in how you were able to remove your valve?
                                Was the engine hot or cold? Can you post some links with the products you used so I can see if I can possibly consider buying them?

Thanks a lot,
                                Ricardo

Keymaster

[quote=”rcarrega” post=94746]StubbornMech,

I’m having the same problem on trying to replace my OCV on my 2007 Hyundai Sonata.
                                  Can you please share some additional details in how you were able to remove your valve?
                                  Was the engine hot or cold? Can you post some links with the products you used so I can see if I can possibly consider buying them?

Thanks a lot,
                                  Ricardo[/quote]

You might want to start your own thread on this. This vehicle is an Accord and not similar to your Hyundai.

Ricardo CarregaRicardo Carrega
                                  Participant

He responded via private message. It was pretty much the same issue. Thanks a lot.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…