Menu

exhaust manifold leak

• Creator
    Topic
    juanjuan
    Participant

so my question is can a bad exhaust manifold leak cause lean codes p0171 and p0174 i have a 98ford expedition 4.6xlt…….so far i have changed all but 1 o2 sensors….fuel filter..plugs…wires…intake manifold gaskets….cleaned my fuel injectors…cleaned my m.a.f sensor and throtle body……someone plz help

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      WayneWayne
      Participant

Unless you know for sure both manifolds are leaking, doubtful…You can check by plugging up the exhaust. To trip lean code on exhaust it usually needs to be a pretty major leak. Being that it’s complaining about both banks, very unlikely, but here you go just in case:

I’d be searching for some other leak beyond the MAF sensor as it’s likely something common to both banks, cracked hose, etc..

juanjuan
        Participant

Thank you ill give these two a try ill keep you updated

kevin gosselinkevin gosselin
          Participant

If you have access to a scanner. Check if the freeze frame to figure if the issue is at idle or when loaded. Most of Ford problem with lean code I found are related to vacuum leak.

A smoke tester will show the obvious. Then spent the time to look and press with your finger the rubber hose… with time they loose their hardness.. so you can squeeze them shut. Strong vacuum would collapse them. The pcv hose would be the best example.

juanjuan
            Participant

Well i have a actron pocket scanner….i coverd the exhaust pipe to check for a leak but no luck….and i sprayed the vacuum hoses with brake cleaner andi didnt hear a change in rpm….i want to smoke my engine any d.i.y at home remedies

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Absolutely, a leaking exhaust manifold can cause those codes. Those codes do NOT mean the O2 sensors are bad, it means a lean condition has been detected. Do not replace O2 sensors when you have those codes. Exhaust leaks can cause O2 sensors to read lean. So if you have those codes and a know exhaust leak, fix the exhaust leak, clear the codes, and see if they come back. More info on how O2 sensor work in this video.

More information on solving performance problems here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

Good luck and keep us posted.

juanjuan
                Participant

Can it also cause misfiring cylinders….i put the truck under some heavy load and i got p0171 p0304 p0174 p0305……

WayneWayne
                  Participant

Yes, if it thinks there’s a lean condition and is dumping far more fuel in. I would expect to see at least 2 on each bank, misfire wise, or a P0300, but it might just not be bad enough to register the rest as of yet. Are you sure you checked all along the exhaust and IAC for intake? Is the idle ok? Stop it up, and run your hand along just off it, back to front, not just the manifolds.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…