Menu

Dexron VS Dextron Difference?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Dexron VS Dextron Difference?

• Creator
    Topic
    BobbyBobby
    Participant

Hey Guys,

I have a Borg Warner world-class T5 five speed transmission. The service manual calls for Dexron-III Automatic Transmission fluid P/N 12346143 everywhere I look I find Dextron III/Mercon.

What is the difference between Dexron & Dextron. (Misspelling?) So confusing… I also read that Dextron IV replaces Dexron III but not for manual transmissions.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dandan

too my understanding there is no difference just a miss spelling.

CameronCameron
        Participant

[quote=”boodaddy” post=103856]Hey Guys,

I have a Borg Warner world-class T5 five speed transmission. The service manual calls for Dexron-III Automatic Transmission fluid P/N 12346143 everywhere I look I find Dextron III/Mercon.

What is the difference between Dexron & Dextron. (Misspelling?) So confusing… I also read that Dextron IV replaces Dexron III but not for manual transmissions.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks![/quote]

=============================================================
          “Dexron” is a registered trade name. Many big brand oil companies offer Dexron ATF in the various specs and you can buy them in many, many outlets. (I have not seen them misspell it either.). If you could not find, for example, Valvoline Dex 111 ATF anywhere I would be amazed.

I cannot say I have ever seen “Dextron” on any ATF but if you have just don’t buy it.

If your manual calls for Dexron 111 in your GM vehicle then use it. You may be able to use Dex IV but do not unless you check with a GM dealer first on whether it is appropriate for your transmission. The oil company web sites are also very useful for checking on product selection for your vehicle but do not go to another ATF until you check with the GM dealer irrespective of what you read there. Usually they are very accurate but I have found errors in the past on certain recommended oils for my GM vehicle by one company (since corrected though).

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

I was thinking misspelling also until I read the above post.

dandan

i am with CAM on this one, stay with Dexron III, stay with what the manufacturer recommends.

BobbyBobby
              Participant

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help, and advice. I will stick with Dexron III. Just wanted to get some clarification on the whole Dexron vs Dextron debacle.

BillBill
                Participant

They don’t make Dexron III anymore. Dexron VI is the replacement and is synthetic. There is still DexronIII around so if you want some you better hurry.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…