Menu

Acura ABS light

• Creator
    Topic
    ErinErin
    Participant

1997 acura CL 3.0 automatic.
      About 3 out of 4 times I start the car, the ABS light is on. I have no clue why it stays off the 4th time.
      Usually I can hear it make some kind of weird noise for a second or two after I start the engine.

My brother has a 2001 Acura TL with a 3.2 and automatic and he said about once a month, his ABS light comes on for no rhyme or reason.

Basically, it seems Acuras have problems with the ABS system.

Is there some kind of common failure here I can investigate?
      I did some Internet searches and it just gives general checks etc. However, I am assuming there must be SOME kind of “pattern failure” part.

My brakes work alright and never sink to the floor. Brake light is never on unless i set the park brake so the light at least works.
      I would like to get the ABS working before the horrid crappy winter kicks in.

Advice?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RamyRamy
      Participant

Try this, while driving at a speed of about 60km/h, and while it’s on the third crank (so the next one causes the light to come on) turn the car off, no braking, and attempt to restart the car, if you hear the ABS trying to engage you have a faulty controller/sensor. Try to get your car read for codes the ABS lights usually produce one.

DormanDorman
        Participant

You can pull trouble codes for ABS in the exact same way as engine codes. Look under the passenger glove box for a blue connector and jumper the pins together. Then turn the key to the on position/engine off and count the flashes of the ABS light. There will a series of long flashes followed by several shorter flashes.

I have the Acura CL factory service manual at home and can read you off the ABS code you have. I’m guessing its an ABS wheel sensor going bad. The Honda ABS system does a check when you exceed 10 mph. If everything is functioning as it should it won’t throw an ABS light.

Michael SacksteinMichael Sackstein
          Participant

yeah a lot of times those abs wheel sensors just get damaged by oxidation over the years, after somebody comes in and does a brake job lets say and then they end up accidentally destroying the abs sensor. it happens. if you’ve recently had any type of brake work done on your car I would suspect that’s what happened.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Start by pulling the codes. That’s your most important clue as to what the issue is. If the light comes on, it sets a code. BTW you can look up the codes on this website.

Codes.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/honda-abs-codes-1994-to-1997

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…