Menu

Toyota ac light blinks

• Creator
    Topic
    BrianBrian
    Participant

Hey guys, I have a 1997 Toyota Camry automatic with the 2.2 engine.
      My ac light blinked when I had it on, I was told the compressor was bad, so I replaced it. I added the type of oil to it I was told to, then I added three small 12 ounce cans of refrigerant. It blows cold, but the light started blinking after the second use. I also noticed that once I turn the ac off, it makes noise. I could not find data on how much refrigerant to use, so I wonder if I over charged it? I don’t know if its that or some other component that may be jinky. Any ideas?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
      Participant

[quote=”peshewa” post=137171]Hey guys, I have a 1997 Toyota Camry automatic with the 2.2 engine.
        My ac light blinked when I had it on, I was told the compressor was bad, so I replaced it. [/quote]
        Did whoever tell you that actually look at the A/C system? How did they decide that was the problem? You probably didn’t need to replace the compressor.

I added the type of oil to it I was told to, then I added three small 12 ounce cans of refrigerant.

Specs are for PAG 46 oil and 28 oz. of refrigerant. 3 cans of 12 oz, if you didn’t waste any, is 36 oz, so you are 8 oz overcharged.

It blows cold, but the light started blinking after the second use.

This is probably proof you didn’t need the compressor.

I also noticed that once I turn the ac off, it makes noise.

Can you describe the noise? Just for clarification, are you saying the noise only happens for a moment or so after you have been running the AC and then turn it off? Or, it makes the noise the entire time the engine is running and you have the AC switched off?
        If the noise is just brief, it’s probably not a big deal, but if it’s constant when the AC is off, then it could be serious.

I could not find data on how much refrigerant to use, so I wonder if I over charged it?

There are plenty of sources for this information, and according to my data, you did overcharge it. How did you install the charge? Did you use a manifold gauge to monitor pressures? Did you pull a vacuum first? Did you replace the receiver/drier? Did you turn the cans upside down or shake them while charging?

I don’t know if its that or some other component that may be jinky. Any ideas?

The light flashes when the RPM of the compressor differs from the RPM of the engine or if there is a problem (or bad adjustment) in the idle-up system causing the engine RPM to drop too low (or not low enough) when the A/C is active. The flashing light can also happen if the belt is not tensioned properly, the compressor clutch is slipping/not engaging, the compressor is seizing, or an issue with the A/C Amplifier (located near the ECU).

BrianBrian
        Participant

The noise only happened once, but not again. I had no means to pull a vacuum, so that didn’t happen. I did shake each can & tip in back and fourth a number of times. I noticed that if I leave the A/C on when turning off the car, then turning the car on again later in the day, the light does not blink. It still blows cold though. I wonder if I can just press in the schrader valve to release some of the extra? I hate to sound to red-neckish, but I don’t have a set of gauges to use either. I used a small connecter with a temp gauge to install the coolant.

Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
          Participant

[quote=”peshewa” post=137371]The noise only happened once, but not again. [/quote]
            Ok, so we won’t worry about that for now.

I had no means to pull a vacuum, so that didn’t happen.

That means you have air in the system. It will never work properly with air in it.

I did shake each can & tip in back and fourth a number of times.

You should only charge with the can straight up. You only want the gas to enter the system, not the liquid.

I wonder if I can just press in the schrader valve to release some of the extra?

You could but that is illegal, and the overcharge isn’t the important thing right now, air in the system is.

I hate to sound to red-neckish, but I don’t have a set of gauges to use either. I used a small connecter with a temp gauge to install the coolant.

At this point, I would recommend that you take your vehicle to a shop that can service the A/C. It needs to have the refrigerant that is in there recovered, then the system needs to be evacuated and recharged. If you do not have the correct tools (vacuum pump, manifold gauges, etc) then you cannot do this job properly. If the system remains like it is, you run the risk of ruining your brand new compressor.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…