Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Cooling Fan Not working, overheating Issue

Cooling Fan Not working, overheating Issue

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Cooling Fan Not working, overheating Issue

• Creator
    Topic
    NIKNIK
    Participant

Hey everyone! Nik here, I have been having a few issues with my 2007 ford focus cooling fan not working resulting in the car over heating. ill list the key points i have diagnosed and see if i can get some help from some fellow members who can assist it me.
      -Code = P0480 which is the “Cooling Fan Relay 1 Control Circuit” Note: this 2007 ford focus only has a single fan, prior models had twin fans.
      ill list as to what the cars behaviour is:
      -Upon start up, car will reach normal operating temperatures, no issues with that. so seems to be that the thermostat is operating as normal (reaches the normal half way point on the temp gauge).
      -when air-conditioner is turned ON, the compressor clutch continuously kicks on and off, but not producing any cold air when idling/stopped (say for example when stopped at a traffic light). At this point the Cooling fan wont kick in, doesn’t work at all.
      -when driving, A/C is working “ok” at lower speeds and a lot better at high speeds (this is normal for fan not to work i believe above the 38MPH speed)
      – with the air-conditioner off, cooling fan still WONT turn on, hence causing the car to overheat.
      what i have done to diagnose any issues:
      -checked all fuses and relays, seems that all are in working order
      -disconnected fan, wired it up to external battery and is in full working order (which can rule out the fan itself is working)
      -the fan is getting a constant 12v at the fan end of the plug.
      -continuity check done on both positive and negative leads of the harness was done, no shorts have been.
      i believe its safe to say the wiring side is all in working order, fan is receiving the constant power.
      Research on the code is the PCM is not meeting the requirements to tell the fan to “ground” and turn on?
      prior model ford focuses had the cooling fan resister issue which the design was changed on the 2007 models.
      any help? suggestions? what sensors do i need to check over? confused?
      thanks NIk

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      CharlesCharles
      Participant

Most likely a blown fuse in the Cooling Fan Relay control circuit. Don’t have the schematic in front of me but the PCM usually provides ground to one side of the Fan Relay Coil. The other side would be fused 12VDC. The Cooling Fan Relay contacts connect the negative side of the Fan to Battery Common. I don’t know if there is a resistor in the circuit to provide multispeed. The two fan models ran one or two fans high and low by connecting the fans in series but that takes three fan relays.

Just pull the cooling fan relay and use a meter or test light to probe the socket. You should see 12VDC on two of the contacts Battery Negative on another and PCM Common on the last when the fan is being called for.

none nonenone
        Participant

One other quick thing you should do for yourself while you’re testing for power at that socket is to just switch the relay with another one in the block. It’s a quick and free test. Turn the AC on with engine running so you don’t have to wait for it to get up to running temperature while you’re swapping relays.

NIKNIK
          Participant

thanks guys, going to have a look over it again today. Im from Australia and today it is currently 35 degrees + (95-100 degrees Fahrenheit) and needed cooling fan working! car is booked next week to see an auto electrician if i cant solve the problem.

MikeMike
            Participant

Hey Mate, I have exactly the same problem, do you remember how it was fixed? And how much did you spent to fix it.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…