1993 Honda Accord not starting

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #203084 by Moonze
1993 Honda Accord not starting was created by Moonze
I bought a donor car to replace the engine in my wifes 90 accord. The car I bought is a 93. I got it cheap as it was in an accident, but there was no damage to the motor, which is what I'm after. The guy couldnt get it started when I was there, it didn't make a sound , but the dash lights lit up. Told him I would be back the next day with a battery. A few minutes after I left he called me said he got it started. I went back, once again, there was no cranking, he then wiggled the battery cable and poof the car started. It ran for about a minute before it shut off, No gas. So I offered him $200 and if he towed it to my house, he took it.

Once at my house, it would not crank. I removed the battery from my wifes car, it was dead, took it to the shop and they said it was no good and under warranty, got a new one for free. Placed it in the 93 and nothing. I moved the cables around and the ones that went to the fuse block. Nothing. I took the starter out the 93 and had it tested, it was no good. I took the starter out the 90 and placed it in the 93. Still no cranking. The dash lights come on. I checked the cables, cleaned the connections. I hear a slight click under the dash when I turn the key. What am I missing? Is there a relay in the fuse box? If so, what does it look like and location? Fuse box under the dash or under the hood? I need to crank the engine over so i can check compression, dont wanna swap it for nothing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #203090 by college man
Replied by college man on topic 1993 Honda Accord not starting

Believe it or not Iam trying to help you.

Proud to be Eric The Car Guy Certified.

Over 10,000 posts strong.

Mobil1 New Jersey highway tested everyday.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #203092 by Moonze
Replied by Moonze on topic 1993 Honda Accord not starting
Thanks, I watched the videos and read the entire article. As stated in my description, I have a No Crank problem. The section that covers that did not solve my problem. I already checked the fuses, cleaned the cables and connections, replaced the Main Relay with a known working one. Replaced the Starter with a known working one. I turned the key on, and bypassed the relays and connected the starter directly, the starter clicks but cant hear it turn. I then placed a 19mm on the harmonic balancer and I can turn it. Every other turn it feels harder, but thats just building compression, then it turns freely, then back to having resistance, which is normal.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #203101 by college man
Take out the spark plugs and see if its easy to turn by hand. You may have a mechanical issue.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #203106 by Moonze
Replied by Moonze on topic 1993 Honda Accord not starting
I hook up a secondary battery and jumped the starter under the hood. It now cranks. There is something from the ignition to the starter preventing the starter from cranking. But thats ok, As long as i can get it to crank now, i can check compression and swap the motor to the other car where the electrical works.

Advertisement
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #203109 by college man

More
1 week 6 days ago #203123 by creativepotato
Replied by creativepotato on topic 1993 Honda Accord not starting
Forgot what it's called -- "Earth Connection"? Basically check main ground runs from battery to chassis. That's all I gots.

'93 Camry 2.2L - 335k

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds