Menu

Cleaning Fuel Injectors

• Creator
    Topic
    William PearsonWilliam Pearson
    Participant

I got a service engine light on my wife’s 2000 chrysler grand voyager 3.3L. My helpful local Autozone dudes plugged in their code reading tool and got code P0140. The read-out seems to indicate that it may be a failed oxygen sensor or the fuel system is running rich or lean. One of the Autozone guys said that, before I replace the oxygen sensor or fuel pump, I should clean the fuel injectors. So, my question becomes: Is it correct that I should first clean the fuel injectors before moving to other causes? And, if so, how should I go about cleaning them? I have heard that you can add a can of ‘Seafoam’ to a tank of gas and run that through at highway speeds. I have seen youtube videos of guys clamping off the fuel line and running an injector cleaner through the injector rail under pressure with the engine running. And others show compete removal of the injectors to clean them. Eric, any chance of doing a video on the good, better and best ways to clean the injectors?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
      Participant

The p0140 code is specific to the O2 sensor.

Participant

Thank you, BarneyB for the response. I’m still trying to figure this out. There are two oxygen sensors, there does not seem to be any indication of which one is bad. And on the code print out, it gives four probable causes. 1) O2 sensor is bad, 2) fuel system running rich or lean, 3) Engine misfire, 4) fuel pressure high or low-fuel pump or pressure regulator

They said they could test the O2 sensor at Auto Zone. I guess the next step may be to remove them and take them to be tested. I’m not looking forward to removing the front O2 sensor, it’s a tight fit to access it behind the engine in a Chrysler Voyager.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
          Participant

Maybe drive the vehicle until you get the code again. The code does include information on which 02 sensor the computer is complaining about.

Participant

You’re right, the printout indicates bank 1, sensor 2. With some further research, it seems that the 3.3l engine in the 2000 chrysler voyager has only one bank. Sensor 1 is after the exhaust manifolds and sensor 2 is after the catalytic converter. I removed sensor 2 and now I’m going to take it to autozone to see if they can get a test on it. Thanks again.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

There is no test outside of the vehicle. At this point, I would just replace it. As for cleaning injectors for that code, it would be a waste of time. That O2 sensor is there for catalytic converter monitoring. This video has more info.

As for how to proceed with a performance issue, this article may help.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

Keep us posted on your progress.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…