Menu

01 Ford Windstar PATS?

• Creator
    Topic
    PirateVR6PirateVR6
    Participant

okay so i just got a 01 Ford Windstar that i was told had a bad torque converter. when i first went to take a look at it, it started and idled fine it just didn’t shift into any forward or reverse gear. i got it home tore it all apart replaced the torque converter put everything back up the way it was before but when i went to go start it nothing…. no crank no start. i put the key into the start position all the lights come on radio, fan all accessories work. but as soon as i go to crank it nothing happens. all the lights turn off until i let go from holding the key forward. could it be that from having the battery disconnected it reset the PATS? is there a ground i missed somewhere? please help.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jbonejbone
      Participant

is the theft indicator light flashing or on costantly ?? if not the PATS is ok .. check starter motor and wiring . MAybe also the neautral safety switch? there is a way to disable the pats, just do a google on howto disable pats and maybe then u can find out if that the problem…

PirateVR6PirateVR6
        Participant

the theft light flashes, not fast but does flash. if i get in and put the key to the bulb check the theft light stays on for the system check and then turns off after a second or 2. called the previous owner and he said its the original key.I’m thinking it cant be the PATS because it started fine before. i took the starter off again to test it its fine. replaced the neutral safety switch and still nothing. I’m stumped.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
          Participant

Are you getting power to the small wire that goes to the solenoid when the key is turned to the start position?
            If not try placing the transmission in neutral to see if it starts then.
            Also make sure you have good ground and power to the starter its self.
            Please keep us posted.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Just for the heck of it check your battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight, if not it could cause the issue you’re having. Here is a video on diagnosing a starter issue that should give you some useful info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKjdnQ0sHQc

jacobnbr1jacobnbr1
              Participant

If there was a Pats fault the security light would stay on indicating a problem.
                Since you say it bulb checks and goes out tells me the PATS system is fine.

I would recheck your work and connections including the range sensor.

Perform a circuit bypass test to see if the starter will crank.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                Participant

+1 on jacobnbr1’s post.

PirateVR6PirateVR6
                  Participant

went back to check if any wires were pinched in the bell housing and everything is in good shape. checked all other connectors and everything is good. i got power to the big connector but none to the small connector on the starter when the key is turned all the way forward. i checked all the grounds and everything seems to be grounded. I’m getting signal from the transmission when i shift from park down to 1, well that’s what my buddies scanner is saying at least. i did jump the starter and sure enough it turned over and started. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS FORUM!!! now to find out why I’m not getting power to the starter small bolt. I’m guessing its signal from the ignition?

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                    Participant

If its the ‘S’ terminal, then yes. If you are not getting 12v there when the key is turned to Run, you need to check the fuse first then the wiring.

Start from the starter S terminal and trace it all the way back. Make sure the connections are free from corrosion also.

Do you have access to any wiring diagrams so we can help you more? Also, did you try another key just out of curiosity?

I still think it may be an issue after the install seeing as it was fine prior.

PirateVR6PirateVR6
                      Participant

yes sir, the van came with the Chilton manual which has some of the wiring diags. the guy i got the van from only had one key he said its the one that the van came with.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                        Participant

+1 on rechecking your work. Make sure nothing became disconnected. Is the neutral saftey switch hooked up correctly?

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                          Keymaster

Well done, now that you know you’re not getting a signal to the solenoid wire you can then track that part of the circuit. I’m not sure on that one but there might be a relay or something after the ignition switch that’s worth looking at, a wiring diagram is your best friend here because with that you’ll be able to track the problem back to it’s source.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…