Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 02 Grand Prix frequent shifting into OD

02 Grand Prix frequent shifting into OD

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 02 Grand Prix frequent shifting into OD

• Creator
    Topic
    BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
    Participant

Greetings ETCG members,

As of last week my GP developed this weird shifting into OD too often. It’s motorvated by the 3.8 N/A with 76K miles

For example, going to my Mom and Dad’s place, in order to get there, I have a to climb a slight incline to their driveway. I could be going about 20mph and the car would shift into OD and lug the engine. I have to put my foot about halfway into it to get it to downshift.

Even just going around town, it seems it shifts into OD for every little thing. That said, it doesn’t skip any gears, shift hard nor delay. It doesn’t feel like it’s slipping neither so says the little tachometer nor my butt dyno.

For the fun of it, I changed the tranny oil for the first time ever since the car was new. Prior to this, the fluid draining out was nice and red, smelled normal and full to capacity. While this was going on, I had the battery unplugged(cold engine) There aren’t any codes but I figure it can’t hurt anything. I did not add any additives as I don’t believe in them, but perhaps I could be convinced? Test drove and it still doing the same thing.

I apologize this is long winded but I figure I should give all the details. What do you all think is going on?

For the record, the car is totally stock and has been since day one. It has never been raced, molested nor abused. It’s an 11 year old daily driver. Also, I don’t want grief for the fluid not being maintained beforehand. I’ve had the car for a year and the previous owners did not change the fluid.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man
        BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
        Participant

Apologize for delaying my response. Thank you college man for your response.

I felt this was something critical enough to let a pro handle it from here. Long story short, the shop was able to replicate the problem. They told me I may need a valve body replacement or the splines are worn on the input shaft. If either of those were the case, wouldn’t the tranny be acting funny in all gears? Shop also told me if the spline shaft is worn, they feel it would be better to just replace the whole tranny due to metal in the fluid. I told them I changed it just the other day along with the filter. They gave me the “deer in headlight” look So there thinking because I serviced the trans, it could be damaged.

I’m prepared for the worst but the car only has 77K miles on it. Would it be wrong of me to smell snake oil or is the shop right? I don’t mess with transmissions period other than servicing them.

A toyotakarlIts me

I would listen to what the transmission shop had to say…. It sounds like there may be an issue somewhere within the valve body… If they do their due diligence, they should be able to find this issue easy enough..

The reason they may want to replace is that they don’t know the whole story…. Allow me to give an example…

After my Father in Law replaced two transmissions in his SUV and one on his Acura, I thought he was just cursed….

Then, I watched him drive his automatic transmission…. He would put the car in reverse out of the driveway and while still going 3-7 mph in reverse, he would shift into drive gear…. Every day, for years…. THIS IS NOT GOOD….

Point being… Driving habits effect cars, particularly transmissions… I could go on with other stories of guys who shifted into gear while the car was still moving back and had ruined transmissions, but you get the point. There could be more problems with the tranny and a simple swap will save time…

Cheers,

Karl

college mancollege man

I would get a second opinion.If you just did the fluid
              and filter and saw no metal to speak of.From there point
              of view its easier to change the trans then try and put
              parts in and have the same problem.which I could understand.
              I would still go to another shop.Even if someone else does put
              a trans in.

BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
              Participant

I got fired tonight no fixing anything for this boy. Thanks Obama for change…….f***in liar.

college mancollege man

[quote=”BlackGPGT” post=67434]I got fired tonight no fixing anything for this boy. Thanks Obama for change…….f***in liar.[/quote]

🙁

BillBill
                  Participant

I would have another professional trans tech take it for a spin and advise you on the problem. Most do it for free.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

Honestly based on your description and the diagnosis that you’ve been given, you likely need a transmission. If you can change it out yourself you might be able to save some money.

Very sorry to hear about your job loss. Good luck.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…