Menu

’03 BMW 320d compact

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge What Are You Working On? ’03 BMW 320d compact

• Creator
    Topic
    JackJack
    Participant

Hello fellow grease monkeys!

About a week ago I bought this 2003 BMW 320d Compact E46 as a project car, something to keep me occupied while looking for a new job.

I knew the car had a couple of problems, mainly the engine mounts, the turbocharger, and the front right suspension, but for about 400€ and my old Suzuki, I’d say it’s a steal.

First thing I’ve done is a complete engine service, a bit of spit shining for the body, and on Saturday I’ll be completely rebuilding the turbocharger. And while at it, I might modify the intake manifold and the exhaust tip.

Here are a couple of pics:

Luckly for me, my friend said I could use his shop and tools to work on my car on Saturdays.

It might not be the best looking BMW of the early 2000s, or the best maintained car in general, but I kinda like it, it’s different from what you see on the road.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any ideas to make it look a bit better, any input is welcome!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JackJack
      Participant

Finally got around to work on my car. Disassembling the turbocharger was quite annoying and tricky, as most bolts are hidden behind the exhaust piping and the air filter box, but once we got it out…

Completely seized and started pouring oil everywhere, even from where it’s not supposed to.
        So I took apart the intake manifold, and I was met with this:

Took a couple of days in the ultrasound cleaner to get rid of this mud. Once cleaned, I removed the little flaps, got a new pierburg valve, and bolted everything back together.

Once I take the turbocharger and bolt it back on, I’ll start working on other things. Some bearings in both front suspension arms are goners, and so is the steering box. The rear alloys are bent beyond recognition, the rear springs have done their time, and I really need to think about something for that exhaust pipe, it’s hideous.

Other than that, I’m thinking about lowering the car and getting a self-locking differential. That’ll increase value, although this coupé is worth next to nothing. But hey, I wouldn’t mind having to drive her into the ground for the next 20 years.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…