Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • ’04 Honda Element – Idle Surging

’04 Honda Element – Idle Surging

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here ’04 Honda Element – Idle Surging

• Creator
    Topic
    DougDoug
    Participant

ok….i finally got the timing issue worked out on my 04 element after replacing the headgasket.

now everything seems to be moving in the right direction except it won’t idle correctly.

it cranks fine and initially runs at around 2k rpms for several seconds then bounces between 1k and 2k for a minute or so….

then it settles around 1k and 1100 pulsing back and forth indefinitely

there seems to be a lot of info out there about surging idle on hondas but most points to the Idle Control valve or vacuum leak. I’ve tested every connection with starting fluid and found no leaks.

is it likely the ICV just happen to go out at the same time i’ve done the headgasket repair or could that be related?

other areas to check?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

Air in the cooling system is the #1 cause of this on Hondas.
        See this for good info and a number of helpful videos:
        https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena/8-Service-and-Repair-Questions-Answered-Here/41476-solving-honda-idle-issues-hunting-idle

First paragraph and video are the place to begin.

DougDoug
        Participant

I was able to get the idle to smooth out by bleeding the coolant system. And it idled ok for a short while then went back to surging and the P2279 code came back.

I rechecked for leaks with carb cleaner and don’t find anything?

Billy AndrewsBilly
          Participant

The return of the surging suggests the possibility of the return of gases to the cooling system. At this point, I’d be concerned about the integrity of the new head gasket. Do you have a combustion gas leak tester?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…