Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • ’05 Accord rear left rim is very hot after drive / burning smell

’05 Accord rear left rim is very hot after drive / burning smell

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here ’05 Accord rear left rim is very hot after drive / burning smell

• Creator
    Topic
    NoName nameNoName
    Participant

Greetings all,

I replaced all 4 brakes (rotors and pads) 2 months ago. This is my wife’s car and yesterday she reported a bad burning smell when she got to work. I took the car for a ride in the evening and here are my findings:

1. There is no sound at all from the brakes while driving.
      2. When braking, right before the car comes to a stop, I can hear kind of a friction noise from the brakes, similar to what you hear after you drive the car the first time after it has been parked in heavy rain for a long time, although this noise goes away later. It did not go away yesterday after about 5 miles and there was no rain.
      3. The car brakes perfectly fine, no squeaking or anything.
      4. Checked the parking brake in a very steep hill – the car is stopped and not rolling back.

Here’s the problem:

5. The rear left wheel rim is super hot to touch and there was burning like smell, or something similar to a smell of brand new rotors /pads when you brake them in. The rear RIGHT rim in contrast was completely cool. The two front rims where kinda warm but nothing out of the usual.

Any idea what the issue could be? I understand some warming on the rims but I doubt that any wheel should be too hot to touch when the other wheels are cooler. Doesn’t make sense.
      One thing to note: while replacing the rotors and pads I flushed most of the brake fluid, meaning – replaced with fresh fluid through the bleeding valve (the “Eric-the-car-guy way” 🙂 )….except of that rear-left hot wheel because that bleeding valve was stripped and I didn’t want to mess with it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any idea what could cause it?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Brandon DriskillBrandon Driskill
      Participant

sounds like your left rear caliper is sticking, causing friction while you drive. It could be either the piston or more likely the slide pins are stuck. When you changed the pads, did you re-grease the slide pins?

NoName nameNoName
        Participant

[quote=”bigbird1971″ post=151050]sounds like your left rear caliper is sticking, causing friction while you drive. It could be either the piston or more likely the slide pins are stuck. When you changed the pads, did you re-grease the slide pins?[/quote]

Absolutely, but not re-grease, re-silicone 😛 . I highly doubt that the pins are stuck, I applied nice amount to all pins.

NorbertNorbert
          Participant

Sbi !

I have the exact same problem on my Honda !
            I changed the caliper (new), silicone the pins, flush the fluid, even changed the brake hose (new) and my car still doing what you described only on one rear wheel

Bottom line I took out the metal spring from the caliper and where the pads sit, now the pads are making noise going down the road but least I know they are loose (only on the problem wheel)

It will work for 3-4 weeks and they will lock up again, and I don`t know why !

Good luck and keep us posted if you find the cause

NoName nameNoName
            Participant

[quote=”AcuraTL3.2″ post=151094]Sbi !

I have the exact same problem on my Honda !
              I changed the caliper (new), silicone the pins, flush the fluid, even changed the brake hose (new) and my car still doing what you described only on one rear wheel

Bottom line I took out the metal spring from the caliper and where the pads sit, now the pads are making noise going down the road but least I know they are loose (only on the problem wheel)

It will work for 3-4 weeks and they will lock up again, and I don`t know why !

Good luck and keep us posted if you find the cause[/quote]

Are you sure it’s the pads and not the caliper?

KennyKenny
              Participant

Sticking caliper. If you replaced the caliper with an reman. Check the brake hoses for kinks. Its possible that left rear hose had an obstruction.

NoName nameNoName
                Participant

[quote=”Einstein” post=151110]Sticking caliper. If you replaced the caliper with an reman. Check the brake hoses for kinks. Its possible that left rear hose had an obstruction.[/quote]

I did not replace the caliper and there was no issue for 2 months after the brake job.

zerozero
                  Participant

Remove the caliper and see if you can return the piston in. If not, you caliper is seized.

Parts that failed don’t care if you did your brakes 2 months ago, they go when they go.

If the caliper is seized replace it before you are also replacing your pads and maybe rotors.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…