Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 05 Honda Civic – Carbon Monoxide Inside the Car

05 Honda Civic – Carbon Monoxide Inside the Car

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 05 Honda Civic – Carbon Monoxide Inside the Car

• Creator
    Topic
    Kia LKia L
    Participant

The carbon monoxide detector has a reading of 9-12ppm inside the car while the car is in idle or moving. It went down to zero after shutting down the vehicle for about a hour or so.

I didn’t see any exhaust leaks. The only problem with the car is water leaking into the trunk.

Please help!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Kia LKia L.
    Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Suggest you look for any black soot build up on all piping and connections from the exhaust manifolds to the tail pipe

Kia LKia L
        Participant

Thank you for replying. To look for black sooth, I have to disconnect all pipes and possibly clean the pipes. Is it right? I wasn’t sure if there is a way to flush out.

Participant

Ummmm no.
            You need to carefully inspect the externals of the exhaust system, piping clamp joints etc, for signs of soot ( meaning an exhaust leak ) that would may find its way in to the passenger compartment

See if any of these are useful to you:
            https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=signs+of+a+exhaust+leak

Kia LKia L
            Participant

Thank you. I found and fixed the leaks near the catalytic converter. However, now there is another odd scenario

The carbon monoxide detector has a reading of 9-12ppm sometimes inside the car before I started my car (very first time starting the car for the day). Once I started driving, sometimes it came down to 0 with or without my windows down.

What could be the issue?

Participant

If your meter is reading with out the car running you have 2 possibilities:
                First your meter is defective
                Second is over saturation of carbon monoxide.
                Might try leaving the windows open for a few hours a day and see if things change.

Kia LKia L
                Participant

When you said over saturation of carbon monoxide, do you mean carbon monoxide is more than what is naturally mixed? does it mean something is malfunctioning?

Participant

I meant that the materials with in the interior absorbed the CO and needs to air out.

Kia LKia L
                    Participant

Do you mean this?

“When I first had CO issue inside the car, the CO was absorbed to the materials within the interior. I need to
                      keep the windows open for a few hours a day to air out the CO from the vehicle.”

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Kia LKia L.
                      Participant

Yup.

Sam AlaimoSam Alaimo
                        Participant

Hey, I know this is kind of old, but did you see anymore CO in the car? Besides for the leaks you fixed, there is a possibility that the exhaust could come through a bad trunk seal when sitting at idle. Hope it is all good now!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…