Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 05 Nissan frontier radiator leak sell or fix??

05 Nissan frontier radiator leak sell or fix??

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 05 Nissan frontier radiator leak sell or fix??

• Creator
    Topic
    Mel EzzoMel Ezzo
    Participant

I’ve got a 05 nissan frontier with a bad radiator leak into the transmission. AT this point I know it has contaminated the transmission, but not sure how long. My commute to work was only 3 miles so it hardly got heated up, noticed it on a crosstown trip and went downhill from there.
      At this point I think the radiator needs replaced, the engine checked for blown head gasket (most likely as there is water in oil), and the transmission possibly checked/rebuilt. Is this even worth pursuing on a truck with 111k on it? If I sell as is, how do I know what its worth and find a buyer? Money is pretty tight and I can cover the repair maybe, but can’t help but think that cash plus what truck would sell for would be better on a new used truck.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

The radiator you can do yourself. The head gasket you can also do
        depending on tools and skill set. Is this the v6 or 4 cyl? Call some
        shops for a quotes. The problem is not alot of people want to buy a
        non working vehicle. makes it hard to sell/trade. If the truck is in
        good shape and not abused. The head gasket and radiator is worth doing.

Mel EzzoMel Ezzo
        Participant

The truck is in good shape otherwise and I am worried about heat damage from the head gasket, but more concerned about the tranny. I feel comfortable doing the radiator repair, but am skittish about head gasket as I have never torn in that deep before. As far as flushing the transmission I figured I would give it a shot first as 50 qts of tranny fluid is cheap compared to a rebuild.

Mel EzzoMel Ezzo
          Participant

I have seen a lot of posts about the problem which seems usually to happen out of warranty. Seems a a desire to have better tranny cooling from the radiator is offset by a fairly regular failure of radiator. I actually like nissan to, but this kinda ticks me off. BTW, did you know the frontiers almost became the new dodge dakotas? deal was close with dodge to make ram/titan, and nissan to make the frontier/ram. then chrysler was sold…again…

Carl EverettCarl Everett
            Participant

i have a 06 pathfinder, I am worried about this as well I just checked coolant and it was fine haven’t checked atf yet. hoping all is well. I have a feeling though that I wont be keeping this as long as I was hoping to.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…