Menu

06 Saturn Ion AC Not Working

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 06 Saturn Ion AC Not Working

• Creator
    Topic
    Mark StewartMark Stewart
    Participant

Hello,

I have an 2006 Saturn Ion and the AC has never worked. I have a manifold gauge set and did a negative pressure test. The system held at -26 PSI for 30 minutes so I’m confident the system is not leaking. I charged the system with freon and unfortunately the compressor did not start. I checked the compressor relay and it works fine. The light on the AC button on the climate control module lights up normally and does make the clutch relay click. I read that the cooling fan is supposed to turn on when engaging the AC when sitting still but it did not turn on with the AC button. I tried to force the fan on by bypassing the relay and that did not result in anything other than the fan turning on. I have not managed to get any power down to the clutch itself and have not tried manually powering the clutch to try and force it on. Does the climate control module manage when the clutch engages and disengages? Please let me know what suggestions you have that I can try.

What I know so far:
      -All the AC fuses are good.
      -The compressor clutch is not getting any power at the connector.
      -The relay for the compressor clutch is good. Bypassing the clutch relay did not help.
      -The cooling fan relay does work, the fan will automatically come on when the engine gets warm enough.
      -I used Eric’s AC manifold video as my guide.

Additional information: We bought the car for $300 dollars with 54k miles on it a couple of years ago. The original owner had slide on ice at about 30MPH and struck a telephone pole and have been steadily repairing the front end with a new bumper and exterier bits. The car has 115k miles on it now. I am not too keen on taking it to a mechanic and spending in upwards 4+ times the cost of the car itself so I would prefer to try and fix the problem myself before resorting to that.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

You state the car was in a front end accident.
        Right there you should begin looking for damage to the wiring and engine components.
        If the car was never in a accident and the AC just stopped working that would be one thing, but due to the fact it was damaged in the front end you’ll need to ensure that isn’t the main cause.

Mark StewartMark Stewart
        Participant

I checked with my mother, who was the initial driver after buying the car, and she said the AC did work initially. I should clarify that the front end damage never made it into the engine bay. The closest the damage got was the AC condenser, which is bent but not punctured. I did an Ohm test on the compressor clutch and got 0 Ohms so I the clutch is probably bad. I am concerned about not getting voltage at the compressor connector though. I don’t see any voltage at all when looking. I will try to look for a blown clutch fuse after work tomorrow.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

That would be a start…
            But keep in mind some makes and models do have wire harnessing that runs across the front end.
            It is still possible that a damaged wire(s) may have occurred from the accident and over time failed.
            Just something to keep in mind.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…