Menu

06 XB Scion engine problems

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 06 XB Scion engine problems

• Creator
    Topic
    XBOwnerXBOwner
    Participant

Long Story short.. 06 XB Scion running rough. Took to Toyota dealer & it is still under warranty. Compression readings were bad. I was told it would need a new engine. Cylinders one and four were bad. Leak down test resulted in air coming out the Oil Cap. After a long process I was told they were going to put a new short block in it. They said the Piston Rings looked stuck and didn’t expand. I was told at the time that the valves were good, no burn marks. After the Short Block was put in and everything put back together, the computer readings were bad again and different. After several days I was told that all eight valves were bent and needed replaced. Can you please tell me how valves get bent and the car keeps running but just rough? I can tell you I never went from 5th gear to 1st gear. In your opinion does it sound like they know what they are doing or should I get Toyota Customer Service involved? What else could be damaged and I should be asking for replacement? Has any other XB Owners had this problem?

XBOwner
      (know nothing about cars)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BigCBigC
      Participant

Sounds like the installation of the short block was not performed correctly, assuming the valves got bent after the short block installation. Could be that the timing was not set correctly. I think it would not hurt to have Toyota Customer Service involved. Just make sure you document everything (who you spoke with for the repairs, all related paperwork, etc,). Good luck and hopefully your vehicle will get correctly fixed.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

+1 with BigC here. He nailed everything on the head.

I cant understand why it needed all that 2nd work. It sounds like a miss diagnosis to me.

jacobnbr1jacobnbr1
          Participant

That sounds like the typical dealers that I know. (All we can do is speculate what took placed based on the information you have provided us)

The leak down test they performed is consistent with what they 1st said about the rings but the second part about valves is not.

Sounds to me that someone bent the valves either by rotating the engine to time it before the chain was installed or by attempting to start it.

Logical common sense tells me that the valves were bent slightly yielding a minor lack of compression and not complete catastrophic valve bend similar to chain failure.

Are they asking you to pay for it?

Stick to the facts and don’t let them out.

Remind them the conversation that took place about the valves were good and the short block needed replaced.

Here is a cut and paste of what the service manual says about possible valve damage upon disassembly and reassembly of the chain that must be removed to change the short block. (Pay close attention to the ‘NOTICE’)

• REMOVE NO. 1 CHAIN TENSIONER

a)Remove the 2 bolts and chain tensioner.

NOTICE:
            [ul]

• Do not rotate the crankshaft with the chain tensioner removed.
          • [li]When rotating the camshaft with the timing chain removed, rotate the crankshaft [b]counterclockwise 40

KZ 259KZ 259
          Participant

awesome info jacobnbr1 !!!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

To me it also sounds like someone didn’t put things together correctly, if the valves are bent and they just did a short block there really is no other cause than the installation that I can think of. If you have too much difficulty with the service writer call Toyota directly via their customer service line and see what you can do, it’s often the case that you would need to ‘go further up the ladder’ to get what you need in a situation like yours.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…