Menu

07 scion tc clutch pedal

• Creator
    Topic
    michaelmichael
    Participant

So I recently purchased an 07 Scion TC with 100k miles, manual tranny, no rust or weird noises. This problem I’ve been having has been getting on my nerves being that I’ve been a mechanic for a few years now and can’t figure it out. The clutch is sticking but not as if the master cylinder is failing or it’s losing hydraulic pressure. It’s getting stuck after the clutch fully disinguages (roughly an inch and a half away from the start position). There is no correlation in the temp of the vehicle and the sticking. It does happen more often when the vehicle is running though. It’s random but is happening more and more often. I looked at a diagram of the clutch pedal layout for my tC and it looks as though there is a spring that possibly pulls the pedal up the rest of the way maybe after the hydraulics have disinguaged the clutch. Am I correct on that? Maybe the spring is faulty? However that wouldn’t explain why it is spuratic I wouldn’t think. I thought about a pedal adjustment but I don’t want to bandage the problem I want to fix it. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. It’s hard to see in the video but you can hear it pop when it releases.https://youtu.be/167ThmOYnLg

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If the spring is intact I would suggest that the clutch master is getting stuck internally.
        I would replace the master and slave.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-transmission-problems

michaelmichael
        Participant

My apologies for bringing back an old thread but it already had the information on it.

This next paragraph is background info for symptoms skip to bottom.

So I haven’t had a lot of time till here recently to work on my vehicle (been driving a buddys) and shortly after my original post the clutch stopped disengaging entirely. I Rev matched about 2 miles home and parked it in my garage, checked the fluid and all was well. Not visual external leaks. So I purchased a clutch kit, slave, and master cylinder. With the miles on the car I figured it couldn’t hurt to replace the clutch. I tore everything down and replaced the clutch release bearing clutch disk and pressure plate. Once it was put back together I bled the clutch hydraulic system and to my surprise there was less pressure at the pedal. So I took the old slave and master off put the new on and the same problem. I figured maybe the 2 man method wasn’t working so I reverse bled and gravity bled still nothing more. So I purchased a pressure bleeder yet the clutch still doesn’t want to disengage. When you start it and try to put it in gear you have to force it and it makes a grinding/popping noise then it’ll go into gear but then if the e brake isn’t up or you’re not on the brake the car moves forward pedal to the floor. The pedal has sleight pressure but not nearly what is to be expected. With a clear tube on the slave no air comes out. I’m honestly lost here. I pulled the tranny again to check my work (took pictures of everything to reassure myself the clutch plate was installed correct as well as clutch release bearing. Any help is appreciated.

To recap

-car will go into gear off but once started you have to force it.
          -New clutch ,pressure plate, release bearing, slave, and master.
          -Pedal feels looser than before, not as solid but no air comes out of slave.
          -Master was bench bled

I’m a little lost here. I will mention the new clutch disk had 6 springs as opposed to the 4 on the old one. And the new pressure plate was twice as heavy. Part number on the new one matched for my vehicle.

Aaron RiderAaron Rider
          Participant

What ended up being the problem? Have a friend that bought a tc that seems to have the same problem.

Cheri ShawCheri Shaw
            Participant

I also have an 07 Scion TC and we have replaced the master, slave, clutch, all the way around. Everything is brand new and I have the exact problem to this day. Whenever it feels like it I will push the clutch in and go to shift (and gear doesn’t matter whether it’s 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th n so on) and it’s like it won’t go into gear. So I will then have to release the clutch and put my foot under the pedal n pull it out manually then proceed to push clutch back in and then into whatever gear I was originally putting it in. And it does this randomly. My mechanic has put in different sized springs just to see what happens and nothing changes except for there had to of been ones to long because the spring would pop off every once in awhile. So that wasn’t the problem. And now that I’m thinking about it I’m pretty sure the master was replaced twice this last time because we thought that was the problem n we just ended up with a bad part the first go round. But no, also not the case because it would be fixed by now. It’s driving me crazy because I’m ruining the tops of every boot n tennis shoe I own pulling the dang clutch pedal back..any info is better than what I have now…thank you

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…