Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1 Topic (Mechanic in progress!) 2000 Grand Prix SE

1 Topic (Mechanic in progress!) 2000 Grand Prix SE

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1 Topic (Mechanic in progress!) 2000 Grand Prix SE

• Creator
    Topic
    TuwakanTuwakan
    Participant

Got a Pontiac 2000 grand prix, the shifter does not lock while in drive. Had the same problem with a Ford escourt 98 where the shifter would stay locked in park but when you shifted it into reverse or drive/overdrive it wouldnt lock. (Can post a video of it tomorrow)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      TuwakanTuwakan
      Participant

Oh also got a few things Ill be working on with it, So Ill be asking tons of questions and hoping for some video responses. Ill even post up videos of problems when occured or when I can afford different parts.
        But of course basic maintenance should be a big help in keeping the car uptodate and less problems to occure (Thanks Eric! Basic maintenance videos 😀 )

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

If it were me I would want to find out if the problem is in the shifter mechinism or if it’s in the transmission. The easiest way I can think to do this is to remove the linkage from the trans and move the shifter lever on the trans to see if it can hold in the detents, if it can then you may have a problem with the shift linkage, if you can’t gett the trans to lock into the gears your problem may be inside the trans. Good luck.

twiggytwiggy
          Participant

I had the exact same issue on a 1999 Toyota Camry. I tried to live with it but eventually the shift cable broke leaving me stranded far from home. AAA towed it to a repair shop, they replace the cable and the problem was solved.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…