Menu

10W40 oil in 2000 accord

• Creator
    Topic
    YY
    Participant

Hi,

So I saw Eric’s video “Don’t make my life more difficult” and I just happen to have recently got a 2000 accord coupe (manual 4cyl) with about 200K km. The guy who had it before me was putting 10W40 in the engine and I haven’t changed the oil yet.

Where I live in Canada, the temperature can hit around -25C in the winter and around +35C in the summer. I’ve already tried starting the car in around -20C weather with the 10W40 in it and had no problems (maybe 2 or 3 extra turns from the starter).

Should I go back to the recommended 5w30 at the next oil change or will it be prone to oil leaks now that it was running with 10W40 for a long time? Also, what about using 5W40 synthetic?

Thanks.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Steffen NyegaardSteffen Nyegaard
      Participant

If you are allowed to in the manual you should use a 0w20 synthetic. If not then a 0w30. Synthetic will prolong your engine life in this regard due to the many cold starts you have as well as condensation etc.

college mancollege man

if 5w-30 is whats recommended.Then use 5w-30.
          I thought honda was using 5w-20?

Steffen NyegaardSteffen Nyegaard
          Participant

Here is why you should use the lowest viscosity possible where you live 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vQO2GzIUO4

10w is much worse.

The engine might crank but it is not lubricated and won’t be for a while until the oil melts from the combustion heat. It is bad.

MathieuMathieu
            Participant

I agree, not melt oil damage your engine in the mid term. You need to keep in mind to use the same viscosity when the engine is hot 5w30. The number after the W is the viscosity after the engine is hot. the number before the W is when your oil is cold. So you might use 5w20 or 0w20 in winter for the Honda brand. If the old owner used the 10w40 he just increase for nothing his oil pressure and is gas consumption per kilometer. w40 is good when you drive in the Sahara desert of in really hot climate.

YY
              Participant

Ok, thanks. I guess I’ll go back to the recommended 5w30. I just hope the engine seals are still good enough to hold the oil.

MathieuMathieu
                Participant

The valve seals should hold It if the old owner did not overfill the engine.Otherwise, if your car at cold start have a blue cloud of smoke you will need to replace your seals.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob_4-F-m1FI[/video]

GiraldyGiraldy
                  Participant

Attach is the official Honda Oil recommendation for reference.

Attachments:
                    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

I’m glad to hear you’re switching to the recommended oil. That oil is way too thick and will starve the top end especially with your cold temps. That said, I think considering a synthetic as suggested might be worth checking into. You want to give your oil every advantage in extreme temperatures like that. Synthetics do flow better in low temperatures.

YY
                      Participant

Ok, I’ll look into that then.
                        Thanks Eric.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…