Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • $16hr flat rate for experienced techs?

$16hr flat rate for experienced techs?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only $16hr flat rate for experienced techs?

• Creator
    Topic
    JoshuaJoshua
    Participant

I have a passion for automotive repair like everyone else on here. After being away from the field for a couple years I was thinking of getting back into it. I’m master ASE certified and have dealer experience. Also went to college and took automotive technology course. I recently walked into a Toyota dealership hoping they needed a tech. They were looking for a tech and said they haven’t had a tech with tools or a certification come through there door in 5yrs. I was excited and knew I was in. They were willing to hire me on the spot for $16hr flate rate with no guarantee. I remember getting my first flat rate job while still being in school for $16hr flate rate with no experience at a Mitsubishi dealer 6 yrs ago with a raise 3 months after at $19hr. I was bummed out that they would only offer me $16 because I really wanted that job. Is it this low of pay at all dealers? I can see why dealers have a hard time finding good techs. What do you guys think? Opinions please

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BruceBruce
      Participant

It seems that a lot of places dont want to pay techs a good wage these days. I dont think I would work for much less than $26/hr unless I was really desperate. A lot of factories pay more hourly than some of these shops want to pay flat rate. I had a job offer last week that would have basicly cut my rate in half had I accepted it.

BillBill
        Participant

HA!…No wonder they haven’t had a Tech through the doors in 5 years. It would be the last time i went through them again for sure. Unless you really need the job i would keep looking.

MattMatt
          Participant

That is at the extreme low end of the scale. A lot depends on location and cost of living, but that is still low regardless.

JoshuaJoshua
            Participant

Haha…Yeah I told the service manager thank you but I can’t do that. I don’t need the job just wanted it. I’m currently working offshore in the oil field. The money is good but time away from home is a bummer. Looking to get back into automotive but definitely don’t want to start from the bottom again.

EndSupremacyEndSupremacy
              Participant

Over here in Long Island NY, the Honda dealer will only start techs out in the express section. Doing oil changes and very low, low, low C-tech work. They start you out at $9/hr. I have a friend who works there and that’s the best he told me he can do for me. I declined the job, and I desperately need one. I have enough shop experience, my own mobile mechanic side business, and schooling to start out at any job minimum $15/hr, and that’s based on the going rate out here. Realistically, I think I’m worth $18+/hr.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…