Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1983 honda accord 1.8 hondamatic (AC idle adjustment) ???

1983 honda accord 1.8 hondamatic (AC idle adjustment) ???

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1983 honda accord 1.8 hondamatic (AC idle adjustment) ???

• Creator
    Topic
    rustyrusty
    Participant

Hello moto world. first time on this forum and praying there is someone out there to help me through my carb restoration..
      i have a 1.8 1983 automatic honda accord. the question is how in the world do i bring the ac idle up ?
      iv read and read online but everything is going off of another model where the ac idle booster or diaphram can be adjusted by turning a screw/jet on top of the ac isle booster unit itself..but mine is vacume operated and has no screw that i can find that increases the ac idle, beside the actual idle screw or throtte stop screw. im able to adjust the idle in park to about 800 rpms, and when in gear drops to about 750 rpms where it should be.
      but in either gear or park, as soon as the ac i switched on. the idle can go from 800-1k rpms ( to compensate for lights and so on) down to 700 rpms and then car begins to shake and shut off most times…i live in southern cali and here in indio ac is a MUST..at 120 degrees tops.. please help someone ! what am i to adjust or look for if i dont have a jet to adjust on the idle booster diaphram unit…

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

Off the top of my head, either your AC idle booster isn’t getting vacuum, or the booster is faulty and isn’t holding vacuum.

Check the vacuum lines going to the booster for leaks/splits/blockages. I’ve seen old rubber vacuum lines deteriorate internally and clog themselves. Truth be told, your rubber lines should be replaced anyway; they’re almost 40 years old.

Now, for some automotive foreplay. To check the booster diaphragm, remove the vacuum hose from it, remove the booster from the engine, retract the booster rod by sucking on the metal nipple and seal it with the tip of your tongue. If the booster rod stays retracted, the diaphragm is probably still functioning. If the rod moves back out, the diaphragm is shot.

rustyrusty
        Participant

i gave it shot, and it sure held vacume. so i back traced it as you said and believe it or not it had a blocked line up by the fire wall where it routes to. including that little back round unit with a positive red wire ( not sure what that even does) but that too was blocked off by corrosion when i removed the cap. and sure enough i was able to adjust the ac idle screw up and down now ! wanted to run the ac idle up about 300 rpms from the idle to compensate for load when headlights, compressor was on at night. now it sits right where it should be and all is well.

i got a few other questions regarding carb settings but i believe i need to start a new thread. thankyou so much for your insight, it really helped out diagnosing the issue ! @evil-i

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…