Menu

1985 s10 tahoe 2,8l 4×4 problems

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1985 s10 tahoe 2,8l 4×4 problems

• Creator
    Topic
    jasonjason
    Participant

hi everyone i have a couple of questions for my s10 tahoe i have been having lots of problems with it here lately its been acting up a lot when i start from a dead stop and accelerate it back fires and seems like all power is cut out for a second and jerks hard front to back also i switched from reg motor oil to synthetic and it seems like i lost a lot of up hill power. and when i down shift the trans it sounds like gears are rubbing. it is my project truck any ideas????

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dandan

i have moved this to service and repair questions answered here so people can better help you out.

sounds almost like a fuel issue but i don’t know… backfiring typically happens when you have a timing issue or when you are running really rich and the exhaust gasses have a lot of unburned gasoline in them and it backfires as a result…

CharlesCharles
        Participant

Could be lots of things. Does it idle smooth? Does it run OK at higher speed? Any obvious vacuum leaks?

Fuel Injection or Carburetor?

jasonjason
          Participant

Me and my grandfather went and fixed all the bad vacuum hoses we had to disconnect the throttle position sensor because it would idle at 2,000 rpm and when we disconnected the wire connections off of it. It idled at 800 rpm steadily. And it has a Carburetor

dandan

could have been a lean condition if that fixed it?

Wyr TwisterWyr Twister
              Participant

You disconnected the wire / connector from the TPS ? That is when the backfiring started ? Then put a new TPS on the engine .

God bless
                Wyr

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

Is your CEL on? If so, pull the codes to see what you have. You won’t be able to use an OBDII scanner for this even though the port looks similar. You may have to resort to other means.

http://www.gmtuners.com/OBD1_DTC.htm

You might also find this helpful.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…