Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1987 Coupe Deville – No Codes and No Power.

1987 Coupe Deville – No Codes and No Power.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1987 Coupe Deville – No Codes and No Power.

• Creator
    Topic
    Jon RudzkiAhabiam
    Participant

Hello Eric and All –

My mother is attached to her Cadillac. I figure I will get that out of the way first. There is no movement on this issue in her eyes – so I have to keep fixing it. No other choice in the matter.
      This is a 1989 Fleetwood with a standard 4.3(?) V8 engine. Not a northstar – this behemoth doesn’t even have air bags. She starts and runs, the idle does flux some, but for the most part it’s stable. You can comfortably drive the vehicle for about 5 miles. After this and the engine is good and warm, it loses power. It acts as if it is going to stall, you give it more gas, and the engine does not increase RPM. When this occurs, you can get it up to about 30mph, but that’s all she will go.
      I do not receive any kind of engine lights, and it is not storing any codes at all.
      I have replaced as the usual suspects, idle control solenoid, eng temp sensor, fixed all vacuum leaks I could find, fuel pressure appears to be OK, new fuel filter, changed the ignition module, and replaced wires, plugs, and cap. No joy. Still acts the same. I also dropped this at a mechanics shop, and he is not able to come up with anything obvious.
      Without a code, and after checking all the basics, I am at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
      Participant

How did you check fuel pressure? was it at spec? was it checked when first started? again when problem occurs? is pressure the same?

Heath KnoxHeath Knox
        Participant

Did your Mechanic check for a clogged exhaust? What does the exhaust sound like when this problem starts happening? If you pull over and shut car off does it start right away? How hot is the car when this starts?

college mancollege man

I would check fuel pressure with a gage at idle.also pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and observe
            the fuel pressure it should increase. also check check your EGR for a vacuum leak when you did the cap did the rotor
            get replaced? I would also look at spark with a tester.C8-)

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Quoted From Heath Knox:

Did your Mechanic check for a clogged exhaust? What does the exhaust sound like when this problem starts happening? If you pull over and shut car off does it start right away? How hot is the car when this starts?

Dude we are so on the same page here! I was going to suggest pulling one of the O2 sensors out and taking it for a drive to see if the condition changes.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…