Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1987 Honda Accord LX-i: Code 17 after conversion

1987 Honda Accord LX-i: Code 17 after conversion

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1987 Honda Accord LX-i: Code 17 after conversion

• Creator
    Topic
    SamuelSamuel
    Participant

I understand this is quite possibly a bit outside the scope of this forum, since it involves a modded car, so I have no problem with a moderator moving this if they feel the need. Anyway, onto my question:

I have a 1987 Accord LX-i. I bought it from someone trying to build it for autocross but ran out of money, so I’ve been trying to finish what he started. The latest thing I’ve done was convert it to operate from an OBD1-based ECU, for tuning purposes and increased reliability. This involved adapting a distributor from a 1993 Accord, replacing the 1-wire oxygen sensor with a heated sensor, and wiring up a conversion harness. The ECU I’m using is a chipped P06 from a 1995 Civic.

Everything works well (surprisingly enough), with a small exception. The CEL will intermittently light; the “jump across the connector method” reveals it to be a Code 17 (Vehicle Speed Sensor). This never ever ever happened with the factory PJ0 ECU, so this tells me that there’s a discrepancy between what the Accord’s VSS is outputting and what the ECU is expecting. I’d imagine it has something to do with the ’87 having a cable-driven speedometer and the VSS within the instrument cluster, rather than on the transmission driving an electronic speedometer.

Does anyone happen to know what this discrepancy may be? My first guess is that it has something to do with the pulse width or voltage being slightly different, but I’m not entirely sure. I don’t have an oscilloscope, unfortunately, so I can’t check myself.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

It’s likely the 87 model used a different type of speed sensor and as a result the new computer can’t interpret the signal. Honestly this is something that may never be solved. As you pointed out, modified vehicles exist on their own and can often have unique issues like this that can’t be solved.

Perhaps there’s someone on the forum who knows more than I do about these modifications.

Nice looking car BTW.

ChrisChris
        Participant

Just thinking out loud but how possible would it be to fit/mock up a VSS setup as it would be on the 95 civic but on your accord?
          Is this nuts?

SamuelSamuel
          Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=159202]It’s likely the 87 model used a different type of speed sensor and as a result the new computer can’t interpret the signal. Honestly this is something that may never be solved. As you pointed out, modified vehicles exist on their own and can often have unique issues like this that can’t be solved.

Perhaps there’s someone on the forum who knows more than I do about these modifications.

Nice looking car BTW.[/quote]

Heh, thanks.

And yeah, I kinda knew from the outset that this’d be hard to fix, but thank you for taking the time to try anyway.

Just thinking out loud but how possible would it be to fit/mock up a VSS setup as it would be on the 95 civic but on your accord?
            Is this nuts?

That might be a thing. I’ll look inside my gauge cluster the next time I get a chance and see.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…