Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1988 chevy pickup with 350 burning oil

1988 chevy pickup with 350 burning oil

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Maintenance Forums 1988 chevy pickup with 350 burning oil

• Creator
    Topic
    ptrhipptrhip
    Participant

my 88 chevy has a 350 and ive replaced the valve cover gaskets the pcv valve but it is still buring oil i was wondering if it could be the oil pan gasket

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      hbvxhbvx
      Participant

Quoted From ptrhip:

my 88 chevy has a 350 and ive replaced the valve cover gaskets the pcv valve but it is still buring oil i was wondering if it could be the oil pan gasket

You would be seeing oil in the place where it’s parked if it were from the pan.

How much oil is being lost over how many miles(for example 1 quart every 1,000 miles)???

It could simply be losing a lot past worn or broken rings on the cylinder heads, allowing too much blow by. This can lead to a clogged EGR system. Also, even though you replaced the PCV valve, check the hoses/pipes to make sure they are free of obstruction.

ptrhipptrhip
        Participant

every week i have to add like a quart i dont know how many miles to a quart

yarddog1950yarddog1950
          Participant

If your oil loss is that bad and it’s leaking, you’ll see oil under the vehicle on your driveway. If you don’t see it, you must be burning oil. A Chevy small block that old with over 250K miles on it will often burn oil past the valve guides and less often past the piston rings as well. If you remove a few spark plugs and find oil fouling, you know you’re burning oil.
            Look at the drive way. Lots of fresh oil there? If there’s just a little, look at the spark plugs. If you find no oil fouling on four of them, then you need to look at all of them.
            Go to Google images and enter “spark plugs”. You’ll find pics of oil fouled plugs.
            If you have oil fouling, the next step would be a dry and wet compression test. Eric has a free video with perfect instructions on how to do this.
            If the engine is toast, you may want to look into a Goodwrench 350 for your PU.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

I would do a compression test on that motor. If the results are low, i would be looking for a replacement or a rebuild.

You also may want to post this question in the correct area for more responses seeing as this is the Maintenance section C8-)

Shaun_300Shaun_300
              Participant

Is it leaking or burning it? Sounds like it’s burning it so it wouldn’t be the oil pan gasket. Probably leaking valve seals or excessive blowby due to worn piston rings. LIke stated above, probably time for a rebuild or replacement of the engine.

1939p71939p7
                Participant

Read the spark plugs…..they wil set you in the right direction …. it could also be the manual fuel pump … I have seen that before …..

julianjulian
                  Participant

If it’s leaking, it could be worn valve guides. Burning sounds like rings. Do check the plugs, but it’s probably time for a rebuild. In that vehicle, a rebuilt replacement is relatively cheap. Installation will be expensive, unless you have the time/tools/knowhow to deal with it.

ptrhipptrhip
                    Participant

i have oil sitting on the underside of the engine and wondering if it could maybe be the oil seal and how id get to it if it was

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…