Menu

1988 Jeep comanche Restart Problem

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1988 Jeep comanche Restart Problem

• Creator
    Topic
    gabe collinsgabe collins
    Participant

Hello all, I have a 1988 Jeep Comanche (MJ) using the 4.0L inline 6 engine on the automatic trans.

I just reinstalled the engine after I rebuilt it. After fixing a misfire problem, and readjusting the indexing on the distributor it is now running smooth and cool. it does get to operating temp.

How ever if I go drive it, park, and shut it down; it won’t crank or if it does it’s very slow and sometimes it hydrolocks. If I let it cool down for a bit it will start. sometimes that restart I am not ruling out a possible battery/starter problem.

Not familiar with these multi point “renix” jeeps of the late 80s. But since I have a 1990 wrangler I do have a couple scanners capable of reading them.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Rahul JonesRahul Jones
      Participant

I would suspect the starter motor or battery. I recently had a battery that would pass the test when cold but failed the test when it was hot. I was almost ready to replace the starter as the engine would crank slowly when hot but was fine when cold.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…