Menu

1988 Mustang GT Oil pan Gasket leak

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1988 Mustang GT Oil pan Gasket leak

• Creator
    Topic
    WhiteMikeWhiteMike
    Participant

Noticed a couple of drops on the ground the other day and took a look under the car and the front of my oil pan is leaking and you can see where the gasket kinda rotted away and left a gap so I tightened down the screw it was near to prevent any more dripping, but I want to fix it the right way. All I read about is having to pull the engine to do this or raise the engine enough and put blocks of wood between the motor mount and the k-member. I’m pretty good with doing repairs but I dont want to venture into pulling an engine just yet. Does anyone know a different way to do it. Is it at all possible to just lower the oil pan the 1 inch it lets you to try and squeeze in a new gasket? I want to do this myself and not have to pay the $400 dollar estimate I was given by a local shop. Any help would be great. Thankyou

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MattMatt
      Participant

I had a Mustang with a 302 in it. I can’t imagine effectively installing a new gasket and gasket sealer without making the leak worse with just a 1 inch gap to work with. With that oil pan being the double hump/double drain plug type, you won’t have much if any working room.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

Quoted From Beefy:

I had a Mustang with a 302 in it. I can’t imagine effectively installing a new gasket and gasket sealer without making the leak worse with just a 1 inch gap to work with. With that oil pan being the double hump/double drain plug type, you won’t have much if any working room.

+1.

You could possibly use a engine hoist and lift up the engine and trans to change that gasket too. That may give you more room but it all depends on how confident you are in your abilities and also knowing that you will need to remove some items for this to happen.

I personally would just pull the motor and go ahead and change other gaskets too while your at it such as the rear main seal, timing cover gasket and so forth.

I love the fox mustangs though. I have had 3 to date C8-)

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

Yea those are a real pain because of that double hump. I really can’t think of any other way to get the pan out without getting the engine up high enough to remove it. If I’m honest this job isn’t easy even with a lift.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…