Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1989 Honda Accord headlight problems

1989 Honda Accord headlight problems

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1989 Honda Accord headlight problems

• Creator
    Topic
    ToxicToxic
    Participant

[b]Heya, hoping I can get some answers here..first of many that has been puzzling me..

I have a 1989 honda accord Lxi 4 Cil with carb…it has the retractable headlights..I have replaced the transmission and motor on the driver’s side. before I did that they would go down but only on one side..due to the burnt motor. now that I have replaced it they will come up but not go back down. Now I can open the hood and turn the kn.ob manually to make them go down. There is no grinding..no noise or jerking when I turn off the headlights (hence an indicator of them getting stuck) I have checked the fuses for both of them in the relay box. both good..replaced anyway considering I had new fuses already in mass. Did no good. Checked all my connections. All seem fine. I’m thinking the swithch on the dash may be bad (the one that clicks to make them stay up even when turned off) but before I spend the cash replacing it considering I have to special order it directly from the dealer I thought I’d ask here and see if anyone had any helpful suggestions.[/b]

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ToxicToxic
      Participant

bumping the thread up..seems to be falling into the bowels of the unanswered and forgotton..lol

BigCBigC
        Participant

Hi Toxic,

Don’t have a lot of experience with this make/model. I am sure some of our other forum members as well as EricTheCarGuy do. Sounds like the switch itself may not be making proper contact when pressed to turn the lights off (and lower the covers).

I did find a person on eBay selling them for ~$10.00 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Accord-86-89-COMBINATION-SWITCH-ASSY-LX-LXI-SEI-/350225513157?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AAccord&hash=item518b113ac5. The seller has two to choose from. The seller’s rating seemed pretty good. Just wanted to provide this, as I am sure a dealer part could get expensive. My rule of thumb is if a used part is 25% or less, it is worth considering.

Good luck. I am interested to hear the outcome. Keep us posted.

ToxicToxic
          Participant

Thats what I’m thinking..I was just starting out and had just gotten the car when I replaced the transmission and motor and I didn’t disconnect anything but the battery. I could have actually burnt the switch when hooking it all back up. The local honda dealer is wanting $60 and I have to buy the entire switch box itself. Might end up hitting the junk yards and pulling a few considering they will charge me just a couple of bucks for them. Just hate wasting money on something when i’m not sure it’s the problem. Run into that a few times in the past and ended up with parts sitting around i’ll probly never use..lol

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

I’m old enough to answer this one. There was a TSB on the wiring harness under the headlights themselves that would break over time. Check the harness under the headlight, your going to have to remove the headlight to get to it and check the wires in the harness, I bet your going to find some broken wires there. There was a ‘kit’ that we installed for the repair but if you repair the wires and make them slightly longer you should be fine.

ToxicToxic
              Participant

[b]Excellent! I was hoping it would be something easy like that…I will go out and check it now!

Ty so much eric, you’ve been an awesome help.

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:[/b]

I’m old enough to answer this one. There was a TSB on the wiring harness under the headlights themselves that would break over time. Check the harness under the headlight, your going to have to remove the headlight to get to it and check the wires in the harness, I bet your going to find some broken wires there. There was a ‘kit’ that we installed for the repair but if you repair the wires and make them slightly longer you should be fine.

int_53185int_53185
                Participant

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

I just saw this on the show “Wheeler Dealers” on the Discovery Channel. They had a C4 Corvette with the same problem. The left headlight wouldnt rotate up. Turns out it was a broken wire under the headlight. It’s funny what the British call the pars of a car. I believe the headlights were called the “beams” and of course the hood is “the bonnet.”

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…