Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1990 Toyota 4×4 Pickup with OM617 Mercedes Turbo Diesel Swap

1990 Toyota 4×4 Pickup with OM617 Mercedes Turbo Diesel Swap

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge What Are You Working On? 1990 Toyota 4×4 Pickup with OM617 Mercedes Turbo Diesel Swap

• Creator
    Topic
    PowerstrokeJoePowerstrokeJoe
    Participant

Hey guys,

I have been reading through the forums here for a while and I figured I’d post up a little project I have been tinkering with for a few months. I started back in November with an 1983 300D I got for $300. Long and short that engine turned out to need a short block so I bought another one and ended up rebuilding it from the ground up. I made a custom adapter plate to mate the OM617 to the r150f Toyota transmission. I re drilled the Toyota flywheel to fit the Mercedes crankshaft as well as machined a custom pilot bearing adapter. I just finished the engine build and am working on hooking everything back up. I’m shooting to have it done by the end of the month. Being a 21 year old college student makes time tight at times. Here are some pics. I have well over 500 so far and have documented the build in detail at http://www.yotatech.com/f162/powerstrokejoes-om617-turbo-diesel-swap-build-1990-p-up-244419/.

Here is the truck I am working with.

Here is the Mercedes as I was removing the engine.

Removing the 3VZ-E out of the truck

Machining the pilot bearing adapter.

Making the adapter plate.

Wood template transferred to steel.

Redrilled Flywheel

Clutch Installed and pilot bearing adapter.

Dropping the engine for the test fit and motor mount fabrication.

Rebuild process from start to finish.

Here are my custom motor mounts… not pretty but they work.

As of tonight the engine has been run on the stand and performed flawlessly. It is back in the truck and the truck. I have many more pictures and information if anyone wants any info. Thanks Guys!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

This is an incredible project! And welcome to the forums!

Andrew baroneAndrew barone
        Participant

Hey idk if your still on here but howd the swap turn out…..did the motor fit witout having to move tranmisson an tcase any also how did u go abt doing the radiator im very interested in starting my own swap an would like to do it as quick an painless as possible

Dean BibbyDean Bibby
          Participant

WHAT A FABULOUS PROJECT!
            The engine looks like new and I’ll bet it runs like that in the Toyota too!
            Now this is what I call entertainment! You do all the work and I simply sit back and enjoy it!
            Thanks for sharing son!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…