Menu

1990 Volvo 240DL Steering

• Creator
    Topic
    rhsimmons92rhsimmons92
    Participant

My car has 225000 miles on it and it veers right big time but that’s not the issue I’m worried about. The issue that bothers me is the steering wheel vibrates at any speed and gets worse under braking. The wheels are balanced but the vibration is horrible From the passenger seat you can see the wheel vibrate and feel the vibration. I know the lower ball joints are going bad. Could this be the problem? There’s no upper ball joints or anything just a control arm and inner and outer tie rod ends.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

first check your wheel bearings for any play. next check your bushings,tie rod ends and steering components for looseness and wear.
        rotate your tires. front to back back to front. see if vibration changes. also the vibration in the passenger seat. check your drive shaft u
        joints for play. also check the transmission mount for wear. you may also have warped rotors.solve the suspension issues first. Then post
        back and let us know whats left. C8-)

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

Quoted From college man:

first check your wheel bearings for any play. next check your bushings,tie rod ends and steering components for looseness and wear.
          rotate your tires. front to back back to front. see if vibration changes. also the vibration in the passenger seat. check your drive shaft u
          joints for play. also check the transmission mount for wear. you may also have warped rotors.solve the suspension issues first. Then post
          back and let us know whats left. C8-)

College Man covered everything you needed to check.

Here is a video on finding suspension noises by Eric. Some of the content will help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFbb43f … wY_5_I4%3D

Sang Kimskim3544
          Participant

Quoted From rhsimmons92:

My car has 225000 miles on it and it veers right big time but that’s not the issue I’m worried about. The issue that bothers me is the steering wheel vibrates at any speed and gets worse under braking. The wheels are balanced but the vibration is horrible From the passenger seat you can see the wheel vibrate and feel the vibration. I know the lower ball joints are going bad. Could this be the problem? There’s no upper ball joints or anything just a control arm and inner and outer tie rod ends.

So let me get this straight, you are feeling the body of the car vibrating from the passenger seat at idle? This is a problem with the engine mounts or the transmission mount.

rhsimmons92rhsimmons92
            Participant

No you don’t feel anything at idle it’s only when moving. The suspension is shot and I know it all needs to be replaced. It needs new shocks and coil springs all the way around as the rear end sags and the car bounces a lot. It also needs an alignment as it pulls hard to the right. But the vibration isn’t constant there could be times where I can drive somewhere and the wheel doesn’t vibrate at all then other times it’s so bad that I have to pull over. And it gets worse under braking. Goes away in the turns but there’s not a single sound from the front end. And I have rotated the tires and had them balanced and everything so that’s not the issue. I got it inspected and I was told that one of the ball joints is on its way out. Could something in the front end be bent? like the spindle or something??

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Loose suspension parts do NOT cause vibrations, they can make them worse but they are not the cause. If you have a vibration at all speeds you have a tire or wheel problem, high speed is a tire balance issue (I know you said you already have them balanced but if you have a bad tire it won’t balance especially if you have fix-a-flat in it). In addition your vibration during braking is either do to front or rear brake parts being warped. I would recommend rotating the tires to see if the vibration moves or goes away to find the offending tire.

rhsimmons92rhsimmons92
                Participant

I actually did rotate them and so far so good. But whenever I take the front wheels off and put them back on the vibration stops but comes back. So we’ll see.

rhsimmons92rhsimmons92
                  Participant

So the vibration came back but it does feel further away so I believe it’s one of the wheels. time for a balance.

rhsimmons92rhsimmons92
                    Participant

So the vibration was there again today. and it felt like it was back in the front end yet again. Starting to get confused as to what it is. My car needs new lower ball joints, and socks and struts all the way around. Bearings are great and spin freely with no play or noise. I have rotated the tires and it seemed like it went away but today I was driving and the steering wheel was vibrating again. I might take a video of it shaking next time so I can show everyone just how badly it’s doing this.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

Have you had the tires and tire balance checked yet? Once again loose suspension parts do not cause vibrations at speed rotating assemblies do, so it’s likely to be a tire or driveline problem. I’m not saying don’t address the loose suspension parts as they are a safety concern however I don’t believe they would be responsible for a vibration at speed.

rhsimmons92rhsimmons92
                        Participant

I have not been able to get them balanced as I have other issues to address first (bad front brakes i need either a new hose or a caliper on the front right and new pads and rotors on the front) I’m going to have to live with the vibration issue for a while as I have to fix these problems first. I also need a new gas tank for it as it leaks above 3/4 full.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                          Participant

There is alot of aftermarket support for Volvos and parts are easily accessible. So sourcing parts shouldn’t be an issue.

You need to PM me some pictured of your 240! Love those Volvo’s!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…