Menu

1991 Dodge Ram Check Engine Light

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1991 Dodge Ram Check Engine Light

• Creator
    Topic
    ghonheeghonhee
    Participant

Hello.
      This problem just cropped up recently the other day. My check engine light comes on whenever going over bumps or other uneven surfaces. It only stays on for a moment and will turn off once I’m on smooth ground again. Any ideas? Maybe the motor mounts? Thank you!

1991 Dodge W150, 5.2L V8 (318)

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jacobnbr1jacobnbr1
      Participant

Could be the ribbon on the back of the cluster, Loose wiring somewhere that is either rubbing something, creating an open, or short to ground. I would check codes and see if there are any 1st.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

I would also start by checking the codes, once you find them however I would be checking the connections to the system that is setting the code, it could just be a loose connection.

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
          Participant

Pre OBDII chryslers you could flick the key on-off-on-off-on and pull codes from the dash lights.

ghonheeghonhee
            Participant

?Thanks guys – Seems like it was just a loose connection.

Quoted From pcmdjason:

Pre OBDII chryslers you could flick the key on-off-on-off-on and pull codes from the dash lights.

How would I go about doing this? Thanks.

MattMatt
              Participant

You literally just turn the key on-off-on-off-on, not to the start position, but to the run position. Then be ready to count the flashes of the check engine light. If I remember right, 5-5, meant the start of the cycle, and then you got the codes, then 5-5 flashed again, meaning the end of the codes. Double check me via google. I could be thinking of GM.

Rereading my post, I see how it could be confusing. The check engine light will flash five times in a row, then a pause, then five times again. Then, it will flash another number of times, and pause, then another number. Example: It flashes 5 times, pauses, 5 times, pauses, that’s a 55, which is the normal start of the cycle. Then it might flash eight times, pause, and flash seven times. That’s a code 87. They will all be two digit codes. Once it flashes 55 again, it’s run it’s course, and will repeat.

http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-c … ecoder.htm

There ya go man, even better. I was wrong about the 55. It flashes at the end of the cycle. If it’s the only flashes you get, it means no codes are stored.

ssd16ssd16
                Participant

I would check your oil level.

ghonheeghonhee
                  Participant

Great – That helps a bunch. Thank you!

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                    Participant

Quoted From ssd16:

I would check your oil level.

Im not sure how this will help in retrieving his trouble codes…

ssd16ssd16
                      Participant

Obviously it won’t retrieve trouble codes. What I am suggesting is that a low oil level may be causing the trouble light to come on over rough terrain… it happened to me. My engine light started to flicker going over rough spots and in turns, turned out the cause was a cavitating oil pump/low oil pressure because of a low oil level.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                        Participant

Quoted From ssd16:

Obviously it won’t retrieve trouble codes. What I am suggesting is that a low oil level may be causing the trouble light to come on over rough terrain… it happened to me. My engine light started to flicker going over rough spots and in turns, turned out the cause was a cavitating oil pump/low oil pressure because of a low oil level.

I never saw a check engine light do that when the oil was low.
                          Do you mean the oil light or was it really the CEL?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…