Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1992 Accord Starts then stalls..sometimes.

1992 Accord Starts then stalls..sometimes.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1992 Accord Starts then stalls..sometimes.

• Creator
    Topic
    Rich RichWhiteheadRichWhitehead
    Participant

Have a 1992 Accord EX-R. 5 speed.
      Starts then shuts itself off….intermittently…but becoming more frequent.
      Have a feeling it’s the ignition switch.
      Sometimes when it is running, I advance the key to the III position then let it spring back and the car will shut itself off and the dash lights will all be out.
      Sometimes not though.

Today when having trouble starting the car (it would shut off instantly each time)I ultimately had success keeping it running by continuing to hold the key sort of between II and III position…

Any other suggestions to help me solidify my suspicion of a faulty ignition switch?

I found a helpful video for removing and replacing the ignition switch on youtube but it was for a 94 Accord. When I took the cover around the steering column the switch appears a little different…soldered directly to the harness that runs to the fuse panel…
      If I am changing this out, is it simply the visible screws near the soldered connections or do I need to do like in the video for the 1994 Accord and remove the entire ignition assembly from the switch right through to the key in order to get a hidden screw as well? Doesn’t look like it would be necessary to remove whole assembly on the 92….

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      steven jacobsensteven jacobsen
      Participant

Sounds like the ignition switch to me. When I was at honda we replaced loads of them. and yes just the 2 screws near the solder and the plug is down the column.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

+1 on the ignition switch. It’s a common failure on Hondas. You don’t need to replace the entire switch, just the electrical portion. You also don’t need to take the mechanical portion off of the steering column. Just remove it from the back of the switch. Keep us posted on your progress.

Rich RichWhiteheadRichWhitehead
          Participant

Finally got around to changing out the electrical portion of the switch.
            Problem-solved.
            Many thanks for the comments.

John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
            Participant

Thanks for updating the thread with the fix for the problem so others may use it to find help if they have the same problem.

college mancollege man

Thanks for the update and the fix.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…