Menu

1992 dodge dakota problem

• Creator
    Topic
    jasonjason
    Participant

I got a question for everyone. my torque converter is always on lock position. I start it idles perfectly but when put into gear it just stalls unless i give it around 2,000 rpm then it squeels the tires its a 5.2l v8 magnum i bought it because my 1985 s10 2.8l has no power and this truck has plenty of it just has some problems. but i was wondering if there is a fuse or a relay that controls the lockup just testing the waters before i start spending money on it also it has a error code 37 and 55 but 55 is just end of codes and i was wondering if error code is related to the lock up of the any help is appreciated thanks. And ive had alot of people tell me not to waste my time. But it is a good truck my cousin had it for years and just started locking up recently. and i really don’t think its the torque converter because once i get it going it shifts perfectly until i go to a stop or a red light then it just stalls on the stop.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Fernando cunhaFernando cunha
      Participant

hi i would check your timing first.
        Code 55=check engine lamp
        Code 37 = Torque converter lock-up solenoid
        this might help.

jasonjason
        Participant

ok if it is the tcc solenoid ive been reading people just unplug them im thinking about doing it to make sure that is whats at fault. and to limp it to a shop so it can get fixed any suggestions ???

transman304transman304
          Participant

Yes you can unplug the case connector and try to see if it works. You can drive it as you only will lose 4th gear and lock-up. Does it just stall in rev and not drive? If it is just reverse you could have a clogged cooler in the radiator. Take the cooler lines off at the radiator and affix them together with whatever will work and keep them from leaking then ck to see if it will kill the engine. Let us know what you find. .

jasonjason
            Participant

in nuetral and park it idles just fine it only stalls when put into drive reverse or 1st and 2nd pretty much when i put load on the trans it stalls and kills the engine but if i rev it and throw it into gear it moves some times tell i get to a stop then it stalls

jasonjason
              Participant

And when i unplug the tcc solenoid it will not crank at all . Irratating ;(

jasonjason
                Participant

ok i was unplugging the nuetral safety switch at first thats why it wasnt cranking. But i found the tcc solenoid switch unplugged it and it does the same thing stall stall stall cant figure it out going to autozone to get a obd code reader. and i was wondering if someone put the wrong transfluid in it would it make it stall like this.

transman304transman304
                  Participant

Wrong fluid will not cause your issue. Unhook the cooler lines and loop them together. and give that a try. You already ruled out the tcc solenoid.

jasonjason
                    Participant

gonna go to auto zone to find fittings to make the connection easyer without ruining the lines

jasonjason
                      Participant

ok i got the trans cooler lines connected to each other with a good seal still having the same problem would my idle air control valve be doing this it idles around 400 when its warmed up???

transman304transman304
                        Participant

May have developed a cross leak in the VB or pump allowing the TCC clutch to apply. May ck the idle also sounds pretty low. Let us know what you find out.

jasonjason
                          Participant

thank you for all the help gonna take it to a trans shop and see if they can find anything

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                            Keymaster

I would not make the assumption that it’s the TCC that’s the problem. It could have other causes. I think taking it to a transmission shop is a good call. They’ll have the equipment necessary to properly diagnose the problem. More info on transmission problems here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-transmission-problems

Please keep us updated on your progress.

jasonjason
                              Participant

Before i take it to the trans shop i’m gonna replace idle air control sensor throttle position sensor and crank position sensor my cousin bought them and didn’t install them .I know the idle air control doesn’t work tested it with it plugged and unplugged and no change. And i was wondering if any of these could be the problem that i’m having. And if so would they give codes. Also the guy at auto zone told me i couldn’t buy a scan tool for my truck is this true???? Sorry for all the questions i’m just trying to rule stuff out before i go pay a bunch of money at a shop.

jasonjason
                                Participant

got some good news i fixed half of my problem using air filter gasket that connects to the intake it was cracked and busted replaced that noticed i was leaking a little fuel fixed that now i can put it into gear without bombing it into gear but it still wants to stall when i go to a stop halfway there

jasonjason
                                  Participant

got a question for you now when i put into gear it takes about 30 seconds to go into gear now, It doesn’t stall anymore but when i go to a stop it takes another 30 seconds to go back into gear would this be a symptom of a clogged transmission filter , not giving enough pressure to the system in time. and it goes into gears just fine when shifting.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…