Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1994 Accord Wagon EX – Unusual idle

1994 Accord Wagon EX – Unusual idle

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1994 Accord Wagon EX – Unusual idle

• Creator
    Topic
    Sam RoodmanSam Roodman
    Participant

Recently replaced the radiator on my 1994 Accord Ex Wagon. Car idles fine when in park and even after gets up to temperature while in park. If you put it into drive its fine as well for idling, It does have a thump as you shift into gear (P-R, R-N, N-D) but I think thats possibly a low fluid situation or just could be the transmission showing its 236k. However after you’ve driven it a good bit, and put it back into park, it either idles at 1500 or idles up and down between 1000-1500. Waterpump and TB were done about 20k ago. Burped the radiator after replacing it by using the valve on the thermostat housing. Not sure what is causing this weirdness that only occurs after driving it. I checked and nothing is tugging on the throttle cable and it appears to be parked against its stop. As a side note, the car sat for 11 monthes (With me starting it about once a month and moving it around a bit while I worked on the body damage). I cleaned the IACV around the time the TB was done in addition to the EGR tray ontop of the intake manifold. So any help would be appreciated.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Tim RoweTim Rowe
      Participant

Sounds like you’re on it. Air in the coolant, throttlebody or iacv having a bubble. Eric has a good video, using that big funnel to burp the system. Or the iacv itself is crap. Perhaps get a boneyard one, give its shot. Good luck!

Sam RoodmanSam Roodman
        Participant

I did replace the little electric valve behind the battery that has like 3 vaccuum lines on it, but if it were faulty and leaking, the idle would be horrible at all times other than in park after driving

Sam RoodmanSam Roodman
          Participant

Still no change. I adjusted the transmission cable a little bit, but Im still left with the same result after the car has been driven. I attempted to clean out the TB as well and got a lot of junk out of it. Is it possible that the springs or TPS are messed up? My end result is either when the car is in P or N, it either revs up and down, or holds itself constant at 1500 RPM after driving and the car has gotten hot. Its not there if I let the car idle and warm up. I have felt the throttle cable when it does this and it doesnt appear the tranmission is tugging on it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…