Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1994 Mercury Sable – 3.8L – Won’t Start consistently.

1994 Mercury Sable – 3.8L – Won’t Start consistently.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1994 Mercury Sable – 3.8L – Won’t Start consistently.

• Creator
    Topic
    ZachZach
    Participant

Hello everyone of ETGC forums.

I have a 3.8L 1994 Mercury Sable GS with 135k on the clock. Beside the broken Steering column, after the vehicle is started, it runs perfectly, gets good gas mileage, drives okay, no hesitations, no hiccups.

But the problem is getting it started. I am able to turn the ignition on, hear the fuel pump whirr and after that the car cranks but doesn’t start reliably…

I’ve replaced the distributor and rotor, thinking it was electrical, but to no avail. I’ve also futzed with the Mass air flow sensor…I felt doing this was able to get it to start more reliably, but not every time.

Does any one have any opinions/experience on what I can check? I have the tools/ability to test a lot of different things, just need to know where to start.

Thank you!
      Questionblock

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Try cycling the key to the run position several times before attempting to start the engine.
        See if that works.

ZachZach
        Participant

We’ve actually tried this. It doesn’t change the outcome. it still struggles to start.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

If there are no codes.
            I’d start with the basics.
            See if you can get it to start using starter fluid.
            If it starts up.
            Check fuel pressure at the rail.
            Might try smoking it for vacuum leaks.
            Next would be compression.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…