Menu

1995 chevy 2500 limp mode.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1995 chevy 2500 limp mode.

• Creator
    Topic
    MarioMario
    Participant

I am lost and out of ideas 🙁 . I have a 1995 chevy c2500. One day in 2010 My Truck went into limp mode. It turned out that My 4l80E transmission bell housing was broken. I thought at first this was the cause of the limp mode issue. I replaced it with another used 4l80e transmission and my truck went into limp mode 3days later. Error code 81 was flashing. 2 and 3 shift solenoid open or short. I went ahead and replaced both 1 &2 and 2 & 3 solenoids. Truck ran good and on day 3 it went into limp mode. I was told by a Transmission professional that the transmission needed an overhaul. That was the problem. He did not look at it. It was his expert opinion. Well I don’t have the cash for an overhaul. I replaced it with another used 4l80e transmission. It ran for 3 days and it went into limp mode same 81 code. This time I took it to a transmission shop. Transmission tech said the transmission was very good and strong. his expert opinion. wiring under truck is the issue. but they do not do electrical automotive work. SO! I just so happened to have a gm complete car wiring kit. I repaired only the transmission wiring by replacing the transmission connection plug and made a whole new wiring harness to fire wall . Replacing the entire engine/transmission harness was to expensive $700. truck ran on day 3 it went into limp mode. Finally, I replaced computer (ecm) It ran with a bit of a hesitation at first but cleared up and on day 3 the truck went in to limp mode again. same 81. What am I missing? I covered all the possibilities . Here we are 2017 and still not fixed . What else can I check?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

Not sure what to tell you on this one. I think the trans fuse is 20.
        Something is open or losing somewhere. Did you try ohming the wires
        from the ecm to the trans?

MarioMario
        Participant

I believe I’m getting close to solving the problem But I need some one familiar with chevy transmisions to help to resolve the problem.
          Updated since my last post
          I have A 1995 chevy c2500 extended cab. Its going in to limp mode. Transmission shop said the transmission is strong and issue has to be electrical. they don’t do electrical work. The engine light used to come on and code 81 would pop up when running diagnostic. I have replaced both 1-2 and 2-3 shift solenoid.. Once I replaced both shift solenoids and reset computer it ran a whole week exactly and it went to limp mode. Before it would last 1 day to 3 days and then go into limp mode. This time engine light did not come on. I have done every thing in the past from replacing the transmissions to running a separate wire harness to fire wall all in a 6 year time span. I would work on it when ever I had a chance. I have not replaced ignition switch yet, but heard it is one of the causes for these chevy year model to go in to limp mode. Question. Did the 1995 chevy have an issue with ground wire to computer. I read there were certain chevy year models had this issue in which it would cause the truck to go into limp mode. By replacing the ground wire it would solve the problem? The Ignition Switch and The Possible Ground is all that’s left that could possibly be the cause of it going to limp mode. I could use some help to confirm or even receive some insight on what I need to do to fix the issue at hand once and for all.
          Show less

gary Lewisgary Lewis
          Participant

Just got into almost same thing theres a sub computer under main behind glove box called drac for chevy yrs 1988-1998 if your has one it maybe part of the trouble or all of it and yes the ignition switch could be also check fuse 20 for 12 volts if you dont have it then it could be the switch

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…